Smart Choice vs PGI vs Horizons Agency Systems

Robert Logue

I am looking for information on starting an agency in Florida. I have read hundreds of posts but have not really determined which would be a good fit.

Smart Choice has several different options for a new agent but there was some negative comments from past members that scare me a bit.

PGI has a member that offers great advice but there secrecy also scares me a bit. It is tough to find out costs, Carries, Commitment, Support etc.. Very cloak and Dagger

Horizon Agency is just the opposite. Very open. Publish everything on their site.

My goal is to start and build an agency from the ground up. Offer the best products and the best price. Establish long term relationships with my clients. Have complete control of my book. These are the things I am looking for in my potential long term partner.

No or minimal entry and exit fees.
Low monthly or no monthly other than software ie. EzLynx.
Transparency and a contract that is fair to both sides.
Ability to receive direct appointments as well as write with their carries using their code but with my information as the agent of record.
No equity position in my agency.
Availability to profit sharing.
A list of the guaranteed carriers that I will have access to before I sign a contract.
What type of training do you provide?

I am not sure all of these are possible for a new agent, but I am looking to build a business and do not like changing partners half way through the dance.

My background is Owned several mortgage companies from 1999-2007. Owned a title company from 2008-2013. Currently selling real estate from 2013 to present.

Any information or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Robert, I would be happy to give you some insight into at least Horizon. I am actually the founder/owner of Horizon so I can speak to any portion of our operation. I will say upfront that I'm honored to have Horizon mentioned in the same context as Smart Choice and PGI. I would also like to let you know that we check almost every box on your request but we are not currently operating in Florida yet.

As for your list...

No or minimal entry and exit fees. No exit fee's and we do a $1000 signup to cover our costs to set up the software etc
Low monthly or no monthly other than software ie. EzLynx. We actually charge no fee and provide both rater and management system customized to your agency for $199 per month. We use our position to negotiate the best price on the necessities rather than monetize it.
Transparency and a contract that is fair to both sides. It is, but of course, everyone will tell you that.
Ability to receive direct appointments as well as write with their carries using their code but with my information as the agent of record. Whenever possible, that opportunity varies by carrier, but we do our part to see that it happens as soon as possible.
No equity position in my agency. Too much paperwork, and besides, NO ONE owns a client.
Availability to profit sharing. On dedicated codes, we can get you with your agency name that profit share starts from dollar one of premium.
A list of the guaranteed carriers that I will have access to before I sign a contract.
What type of training do you provide? A list of carriers we are guaranteed to TRY to give you direct access to yes, but guaranteed access can only be ultimately granted by the carrier. The carrier is the keeper of the keys with any network.

Having not made the move into Florida yet I would hope to still be on your list of options if we ever do. We currently are in California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, Tenessee, North Carolina, West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, and Alaska.

Oh yeah... Horizon has no exit fee either.

Having not made the move into Florida yet I would hope to still be on your list of options if we ever do. We currently are in California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, Tenessee, North Carolina, West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, and Alaska.

I wish you were in Florida. You sound like you would be a great fit. You check the boxes I need checked. Please let me kn ow if your company decides to make a move into Florida. I would love to talk with you when you do. Thanks for responding.

Sign a Non disclosure. We share everything with you! We don't want to be secret at all. 100% open to discuss why you might like us and what exists out there that could also be good for you. Who are you working with?

Thanks Shawn, I am researching my options I appreciate you getting back to me. I would really like to know what you offer so I will be checking back in with you soon. Thanks again

Robert, I would be happy to give you some insight into at least Horizon. I am actually the founder/owner of Horizon so I can speak to any portion of our operation. I will say upfront that I'm honored to have Horizon mentioned in the same context as Smart Choice and PGI. I would also like to let you know that we check almost every box on your request but we are not currently operating in Florida yet.

As for your list...

No or minimal entry and exit fees. No exit fee's and we do a $1000 signup to cover our costs to set up the software etc
Low monthly or no monthly other than software ie. EzLynx. We actually charge no fee and provide both rater and management system customized to your agency for $199 per month. We use our position to negotiate the best price on the necessities rather than monetize it.
Transparency and a contract that is fair to both sides. It is, but of course, everyone will tell you that.
Ability to receive direct appointments as well as write with their carries using their code but with my information as the agent of record. Whenever possible, that opportunity varies by carrier, but we do our part to see that it happens as soon as possible.
No equity position in my agency. Too much paperwork, and besides, NO ONE owns a client.
Availability to profit sharing. On dedicated codes, we can get you with your agency name that profit share starts from dollar one of premium.
What type of training do you provide? A list of carriers we are guaranteed to TRY to give you direct access to yes, but guaranteed access can only be ultimately granted by the carrier. The carrier is the keeper of the keys with any network.

Oh yeah... Horizon has no exit fee either.

This look like something I might be interested in. Would you mind telling me the commission split and which carriers are available in Georgia?

Thanks

This look like something I might be interested in. Would you mind telling me the commission split and which carriers are available in Georgia?

Thanks

Georgia is our fastest growing state, we have a broad section of carriers and our splits are 80/90% with binding authority, 70% if you submit to our brokerage. Last time I checked the average with all things considered was between 85 and 90% for most agencies in GA.

Feel free to check out www.agency.builders for more info, I'd also be happy to set aside some time to discuss your needs on a call.

Best of luck @Alex B we look forward to talking to you.

We currently are in California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, Tenessee, North Carolina, West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, and Alaska.

I meant to reply to this post. Found your website. It looks like what I have been searching for! Filled out an inquiry.

Back