Starting out as Adjuster PLEASE HELP

George McLatchey

ADVICE REQUESTED!!!

In my past, I have a 15 year history of success working in SELLING Medicare and Final Expense.

Now I want to change careers to Insurance Adjusting. I recently got my license - Florida 620 All Lines Adjuster and I am Credentialed as a Level 2 Xactimate Certified User, with a passing certificate for the Level 2 Exam by Verisk. I want to be a desk adjuster for home claims. I've applied to well over 20 jobs with no luck.

How do I get started? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

How do I get started?

Not easy, so don't quit your day job.

I am a retired property claims adjuster.

Passing a license exam and qualifying with Xactimate doesn't make you an adjuster. You either have to have experience assessing home and building damage or go through some company's training program.

If you want to be a desk adjuster you'll have to find a company that has a regional or home office claims department in your city. Those companies will generally be looking for adjusting experience, not novices.

A company with a training program will probably put you through field adjusting for many months before you get put on a desk. You'll basically be learning construction, what it takes to build a home or building, and how all the trades are utilized.

Xactimate won't help you if you don't know how to put a damaged home or building back together piece by piece.

The alternative to being a company adjuster is working for an independent adjuster or (God forbid) a public adjuster (Florida is teeming with those rodents).

You will be expected to visit damaged homes and buildings, appraise the damage, write the repair estimate, and submit your report which will be conveyed to the insurance company's desk adjuster.

Best not have a problem with heights because you'll be climbing a lot of ladders up to roofs of single to multi-story buildings.

What jobs have you applied for and what reasons were you given for being declined?

Knowing that might help me give you more helpful comments.

Not easy, so don't quit your day job.

What jobs have you applied for and what reasons were you given for being declined?

Knowing that might help me give you more helpful comments.

I got my adjusters license and applied for a adjuster "trainee" position that required no experience. I got a message back saying that they were going with somone more quailfied person even though I have been a licensed real estate appraiser for 25 years. I have inspected and done reports for over 9000 properties. I was like "really" who would be applying for a trainee job that has more experience than me. O_o

I have been a licensed real estate appraiser for 25 years. I have inspected and done reports for over 9000 properties.

6000 claims for damage to homes and buildings and I never once had to figure out the "market value" of the home or the building. Your appraisal experience is laudable but not useful to a property claims adjuster.

I was like "really" who would be applying for a trainee job that has more experience than me.

My guess is that they got someone who had some construction experience, or something else. You might try calling your interviewer and asking what qualifications would have helped you get the job.

Meantime, don't give up. See if your local community college has courses on construction basics. That could help. Knowing how to repair or rebuild homes and buildings counts just as much as the insurance knowledge.

There are plenty of large carriers which have "downsized" their employee ranks and there are plenty of displaced (read fired) appraisers looking for work. That is a group you are in competition with.

6000 claims for damage to homes and buildings and I never once had to figure out the "market value" of the home or the building. Your appraisal experience is laudable but not useful to a property claims adjuster.

My guess is that they got someone who had some construction experience, or something else. You might try calling your interviewer and asking what qualifications would have helped you get the job.

Meantime, don't give up. See if your local community college has courses on construction basics. That could help. Knowing how to repair or rebuild homes and buildings counts just as much as the insurance knowledge.

That is a common misconception. Real appraisers determine market value, cost to construction and/or repair/replace properties, and Income value for investment properties. Where as adjusters just determine the cost to replace as far as real estate goes. I have a taken lot of construction classes over the years that isnt really an issue. I didn't get to an interview, I just got a email that said "sorry we are going with someone else".

Its all good though, I think I will got into insurance sales instead. I am getting kinda old to be climbing ladders, crawling in attics and driving for hours. I know they have desk adjusters but I think I am looking to do something completely different.

I have a taken lot of construction classes over the years that isnt really an issue.

Did you emphasize that in your resume?

I didn't get to an interview, I just got a email that said "sorry we are going with someone else".

Just for sh-ts and giggles see if you can get a candid comment about why.

I am getting kinda old to be climbing ladders, crawling in attics and driving for hours. I know they have desk adjusters

Yes, they do, but it's a plum job generally given to experienced adjusters who want to "come in from the cold."

How's the search going? I can tell you with 100% certainty the opportunities are out there. I currently work as a desk examiner. I had extensive prior experience when hired, but in the time since I started about a year and a half ago I have seen over a dozen new examiners hired with ZERO prior claims or insurance experience. Several were police officers, a couple fresh from college and one made the jump directly from working in the restaurant industry, and is now handling commercial property claims. That's likely not the norm, and it may be a long search, but its definitely possible.

Back