Starting out selling life as an independent agent?

Travis...

Not to be that guy but...

If you were any good you'd probably still be selling it.

Lol. Very nice.

Probably more along the lines of I was too immature to hold a steady job, much less one where I was responsible for myself.

Regardless, considering you just reinterated a point I made almost a month ago... It doesn't really appear that I need to currently sell life insurance to understand the efficiency of focusing on a niche.

Last edited:
My plan will probably change when the time comes, but as of now, my thought process is to try multiple things and see what works. The other side of that is doing door to door as means of practicing talking to strangers instead of solely making a sale or two.

Started selling cancer ins. door to door and no dm's. You will learn quick and think on your feet like none other. I would suggest not just doing that way, make sure you use some dm's and work your new business for more business. Work as tight as you can and in family groups as much as possible. Make a list of names to use for name dropping. That is a very powerful technique if done properly.

Don't let anyone belittle the door to door stuff:no:... closed one sale and will make another tomorrow because of it. Dodging the rain today while making a delivery and that's how it went. Hope to rap up around a grand in FYC with those two. Not bad for a day of knocking on people's door who might not want to see you:yes:... welcome to selling insurance... no one is knocking on your door.

Do you need to start selling now?

If not, I’ll give you the same advice I gave another prior web developer:

Go. Online. For. Marketing.

Pick up Jeff Root’s book “Digital Life Insurance Agent”

SellTermInsurance.com is his bga site.

You can start marketing in your state/area but you may want to pick up other licenses once you pick your niche.

FYI: You need a niche. Don’t try to sell all life products to everyone.

I wish there was a large enough scuba community in the US to make consistent money. I’d just sell to them as I’m a diver.

Digital Content Marketing gives you a long time to learn about your products and you can fit it in a part time schedule.

Don’t try to set the world on fire. You’ll get super overwhelmed as a part time agent. Slow burn it until you can walk from your ft job.

This was great, thanks!

Back