State Farm Auto Insurance - "the largest underwriting loss in its 100-year history"

marindependent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Wow - Makes for quite a sober Auto Insurance Market read:

Late last year, State Farm’s chief executive broke the news that the auto giant would record the largest underwriting loss in its 100-year history for 2022. On Monday, the news became official with a huge number attached: $13 billion.

“We missed severity badly. We did not anticipate the inflationary pressures,” said State Farm CEO Michael Tipsord at the Property/Casualty Insurance Joint Industry Forum last year.

“In 2022, State Farm’s auto insurance companies reported record underwriting losses due to rapidly increasing claims severity and significant additions to prior accident year incurred claims,” State Farm reported in a media statement this week, without disclosing the magnitude of the prior-year reserve charges.

By the numbers, the auto companies recorded earned premium of $45.7 billion. Incurred claims and loss adjustment expenses were $48.4 billion and other underwriting expenses totaled $10.8 billion. While earned premiums were 10.1% higher in 2022 than 2021, the underwriting loss landed at an eye-popping $13.4 billion.

Even though other P/C lines—homeowners, commercial multiple peril and other lines—generated an underwriting profit of $849 million, the auto loss dominated results, with auto representing 61% of written premiums and the other P/C lines 37%.

State Farm’s 2021 auto underwriting loss—$3.5 billion—also paled by comparison to the staggering number booked for 2022.

In total, State Farm said that the P/C group of companies reported a combined underwriting loss of $13.2 billion on earned premium of $74.3 billion. The 2022 underwriting loss, combined with investment and other income of $4.9 billion, resulted in a P/C pre-tax operating loss of $8.3 billion compared to a $313 million loss reported in 2021 and the $4.5 billion profit reported in 2020.

Read the Rest of the Article from Insurance Journal about State Farms Historic Loss here.

I actually got a call from a State Farm agent as I was reading this article. Among other things, they now have a 14 day hold on new business for personal auto.

I am so glad I'm indi.

That doesn't bode well for my June State Farm renewal. Good thing I drive cheap cars and just buy liability insurance.

What do you think this means for the automobile market? People backing off new car purchases, selling high ACV cars in favor of lower ACV cars?

Insurance racket is such a scam, what do they do with all the premiums I pay? Been paying for almost 3 years & never had a single claim, except for the acts of God laid on me, & those 2 times the jack wagon hit me & when the deer hit me & when the lowlifes keyed my car at the MAGA protest.

Why should my rates go up when I didn't have any claims?

CEOs making record profits & paying off the GOP politicians to keep the racket going. State Farm getting big write offs on their tax returns I bet

Insurance racket is such a scam, what do they do with all the premiums I pay? Been paying for almost 3 years & never had a single claim, except for the acts of God laid on me, & those 2 times the jack wagon hit me & when the deer hit me & when the lowlifes keyed my car at the MAGA protest.

Why should my rates go up when I didn't have any claims?

CEOs making record profits & paying off the GOP politicians to keep the racket going. State Farm getting big write offs on their tax returns I bet
Lolz. We are having a lot of conversations like that. Fortunately just about all my clients are business owners and investors that come by referral, so it's usually pretty easy to have a calm conversation whereas I explain what's going on in the market.

I mean, to be 100% honest I do feel bad about the increases across the board. The increase in sales commissions is nice, though.

Lolz. We are having a lot of conversations like that. Fortunately just about all my clients are business owners and investors that come by referral, so it's usually pretty easy to have a calm conversation whereas I explain what's going on in the market.

I mean, to be 100% honest I do feel bad about the increases across the board. The increase in sales commissions is nice, though.

"Actually, sir, this is good news. It means you were receiving a massive discount last year that we didn't even know about!"

"Actually, sir, this is good news. It means you were receiving a massive discount last year that we didn't even know about!"

Because the company paid out way more than they collected, it is time for your annual assesment to share in the excess losses. I will contact them to see if we can get them to forgive what you owe for your share of the losses

Back