STATE FARM STAFF TO AGENT OR START NEW WITH FARMERS

I was State Farm. Had the chances to get an office but watched the agent I work for lose his office because he sold 30 life policies instead of 33. All that time and money he spent to have it taken. He also had a snake of an agent a few miles down the road take $500k from his book by coaching his clients how to switch to her office. “Leadership” did nothing. Never would I suggest going captive. On State Farm’s best and most competitive day I have a carrier that is the same price. Outside of that I can beat them anytime I want.

I've never worked with an agent who got shut down, but I have seen agents quietly get "fired" for some pretty sketchy things. I also worked for an awful agent. Dude couldn't close an automatic door, but his staff (including me) did enough to keep him afloat.

I'm new to indy, but I am SO MUCH happier with even the extremely small agency I'm with now than I ever was with State Farm.

I've never worked with an agent who got shut down, but I have seen agents quietly get "fired" for some pretty sketchy things. I also worked for an awful agent. Dude couldn't close an automatic door, but his staff (including me) did enough to keep him afloat.

I'm new to indy, but I am SO MUCH happier with even the extremely small agency I'm with now than I ever was with State Farm.
I’m with you. My agency is small. Growing but still small. Lol. Writing $5600 policies today that never could happen with captive company. And a $10,200 account that couldn’t either. Indy is the only way my friend!

Question is, when and how are you going to open your own shop? Do you have a buy out option?

I’m with you. My agency is small. Growing but still small. Lol. Writing $5600 policies today that never could happen with captive company. And a $10,200 account that couldn’t either. Indy is the only way my friend!

Question is, when and how are you going to open your own shop? Do you have a buy out option?

Down the road, if I want to partner with him, it's available to me.

I'm not quite sure I'd want to go out completely on my own, this guy has his commercial accounts and a few personal lines policies that trickle his way, but not a big or known agency. I'm building name recognition and referral partners right now, and don't know if I'd want to do it over again.

With seven years of experience, you’re likely better off going Indy. It can seem daunting to go through all the steps on your own. I am leaving the captive world after six years of owning an agency in Texas. I’ve been successful, won awards and lots of bonuses... but it comes down to vision and focus. The captives generally expect you to be a multi line agent, with production across their major LOBs. As an Indy, you can choose whatever you want and focus on what you want instead of what your carrier wants.

Back