State Farm taking both drivers deductibles in rear end collision

Tim C

My girlfriend, my 3 month old and myself were struck from behind by an 88 year old driver in rush hour on the expressway leaving downtown Chicago. Driver hit us from behind and appears foot was still on the gas because then continued grinding down the side of our car until they were in front of us. They then attempted to take off but due to the damage of their left wheel they made it out into the expressway a couple hundred feet before stopping. They then got out of the car looked at the front and took off again but ended up smashing in center median.

State police came and collected our information. Wrote report stating other drive was cause of accident for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and following too closely but did not issue them a citation as far as accident report shows. At the scene the other cars passenger took pictures of both vehicles but I was too dazed and shaken to get out especially with new baby in the back seat on side the vehicle was struck.

I asked the officer what happened and we thought maybe driver was having medical issue and girlfriend is a nurse and could help. He said no, he just crashed because he's old. It took me about 3 weeks to get accident report from State Police. In the mean time State Farm paid off my car and sent me a check from tax, title, license and small difference between value and what was owed but kept my $1000 deductible until the ruled who was at fault.

When I get the report I see it says "amended". Driver's initial statement said I swerved in front of him and thats how he hit me. We were traveling in the left lane for many minutes when we got hit and had no intention to move to the middle lane any time soon because we were not exiting for 10 miles. The amendment was that the driver called the police 3 days later to change his story to that he was hit from behind and thats why they hit me. Trooper noted under the amendment that there was no visible damage to the rear of drivers vehicle.

State Farm now says they received pictures taken at the auto body shop weeks later that support the story that they were struck from behind. Obviously they could have done anything to the car during that time or known the person at the auto body shop since you can take to whatever body shop you want as long as they are State Farm approved.

State Farm now says they are not returning my deductible and its a claim against my policy because it was a "phantom" unknown vehicle that caused the accident. They said I would have to prove that they were not struck to get my money back. They said the police report being amended was proof. All it was, was the drivers amended statement, the state trooper made no changes to the cause of the accident.

Seems that State Farm is acting in bad faith so they can keep both drivers deductibles. Thoughts?

No, sorry, no bad faith here. SF is acting on information that it has received. Doing little or nothing to refute that information is not bad faith. If you want to change things you will have to sue the other driver, prove his fault, and get a judgment against him. Your insurance company has no obligation to do that for you.

By the way, why do you have a $1000 deductible?

Did you ask for it? Did you get quotes on various deductible options? Did you not think about it at all when you took out the policy? Did you just accept the policy without realizing that there was $1000 deductible?

Reason I ask is that I read so many posts where people complain about $1000 deductibles when they have an accident. A lot of people never bothered reading the policy and weren't aware that they had it until it was too late.

State Farm is going against police report and choosing to take the side of the party that gets them the most money. Police reports states that driver failed to reduce speed to avoid accident and following too closely. State Trooper disputes other drivers claim they were rear ended into me in the report by saying no damage observed at time of accident after rear ending driver made those claims 3 days later. We have the same insurance company. Had the other driver been Allstate or someone State Farm would have called BS. But since in this scenario they get to keep both deductibles they are siding with the driver making false claims because they keep more money.

I am not complaining about my deductible so let that go. Its about change of story which is false. The other driver has no pictures of their car damaged the night of the accident. If they change their story they should prove it which they can't. They had days after to damage their car to help in case I sued them.

You can start by filing a complaint with your state's insurance department. But if the insurance department finds no wrongdoing you'll have to sue the other driver and get a judgment.

Slightly off topic but many "how to save money" insurance articles start off with "raise your collision deductible to $1000." I don't know how it is for everyone else, but where I am in 9 cases of out 10, it would take few to several years of premium to make up for that extra $500 in the case of an accident. Has anyone else seen this or is it just NC?

Slightly off topic but many "how to save money" insurance articles start off with "raise your collision deductible to $1000." I don't know how it is for everyone else, but where I am in 9 cases of out 10, it would take few to several years of premium to make up for that extra $500 in the case of an accident. Has anyone else seen this or is it just NC?

In Tennessee, for a halfway decent driver then I've seen the same. If a bad driver, tickets or accidents, and/or bad insurance score, then it can be significant savings to go to a $1000 deductible.

In Tennessee, for a halfway decent driver then I've seen the same. If a bad driver, tickets or accidents, and/or bad insurance score, then it can be significant savings to go to a $1000 deductible.

I forget the exact numbers, but especially on comp, I was surprised at how trivial the difference between a $500 and a $100 deductible was.

I forget the exact numbers, but especially on comp, I was surprised at how trivial the difference between a $500 and a $100 deductible was.

JMO, a big driver behind higher deductibles is loss ratio. Agents and companies are trying avoid smaller but frequent claims. When I see small claims on a loss report I just have to shake my head. It just kills them on premium, particularly when they get enough they get non-renewed or are otherwise ineligible for preferred companies.

Also, while comp is affected by insurance score, collision is where it really hurts. I have seen some crazy high collision rates when the insurance scores were bad.

Back