Subsidy Calculator Always Wrong

Evan

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Is anyone else having a problem getting a semi decent estimate for subsidy? I ran a policy for a husband and wife (43 & 45) making $40,000 total and they arent' eligible for a subsidy? This doesn't make a lick of sense.

Not today, but yesterday I had issues with it. Some had APTC right and CSR wrong and vice versa.

Is anyone else having a problem getting a semi decent estimate for subsidy? I ran a policy for a husband and wife (43 & 45) making $40,000 total and they arent' eligible for a subsidy? This doesn't make a lick of sense.

Use this calculator that shows the 2nd lowest silver plan
Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

At those ages and that income, the 2nd lowest cost may be lower than the maximum % of income allowed. Seen it happen MANY times.

Yagents thats what I've been using. I'm actually thinking the opposite that their income is too low. I am in Florida.

Use this calculator that shows the 2nd lowest silver plan
Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

At those ages and that income, the 2nd lowest cost may be lower than the maximum % of income allowed. Seen it happen MANY times.

10-24-2015

TurboTax has the only calculator I can find that says it's updated for 2016 subsidy estimates. (Ref: TurboTax 2016 Health Care Subsidy Calculator | The TurboTax Blog ) Do you think it's correct? Even HC.gov doesn't have their calculator updated for 2016 yet.

If you don't know the available plans or the rates that go with them (especially SLCS), you can't calc the subsidy. I don't know why Turbo Tax would get special access to that information, and they'd need to get it from all state exchanges as well.

If you don't know the available plans or the rates that go with them (especially SLCS), you can't calc the subsidy. I don't know why Turbo Tax would get special access to that information, and they'd need to get it from all state exchanges as well.

TurboTax probably hacked into Healthcare.gov. It's not that hard to do, which is why CMS said earlier this month that extra layers secure socket encryption are being added..in addition to other "measures".

Those subsidy calculators suck. Some say one thing, like you're eligible, and others say another thing, like you're not eligible. And the amounts of what you are eligible for vary widely if it tells you you're eligible. I don't trust any subsidy calculator.

Back