Switching Companies - Serious Questions Must Be Answered...

pauljo75

Hello, all. I'm new here, and thank you for at least reading my post.

I am currently working with Aflac in the midwest, but I am dissatisfied with certain aspects of this career. I gave up a secure, modestly-paying salary job (Procurement) to do this a couple of months ago. My main concern right now is that I am not comfortable with their training, aggressive agent strategy, and the over-saturation of agents in my area (although our market penetration is relatively low). I am very new to cold, face-to-face, b2b prospecting, and I really need a mentor by my side for the time-being (especially since I'm splitting sales with my DSC indefinitely). I'm VERY comfortable while presenting to a business owner or employee on a 1-on-1 basis. it's the prospecting that is getting me down (just walk into a business and ask to see the owner, and do this repeatedly until the owner gives in). I'm simply not making the money I need to make right now since I have children, rent, bills, etc.

**I realize prospecting is a necessary part of this industry, but does it have to be so brazen and awkward?**

I've interviewed with Mutual of Omaha twice recently, and my third meeting is today (decision time). It seems like they have a different approach to prospecting and marketing, a recognized name, as well as a diverse selection of products to sell. For a few years, they also will pay me a base figure if I meet relatively achievable sales goals, as well as more extensive product training. On the surface, this sounds like a much better future situation than with Aflac.

**I think Aflac is a GREAT company overall. However, I think they have created an agent culture of which very few even have a remote chance at making a living - A divorced dad paying rent and child support doesn't seem to stand much of a chance. Mutual of Omaha seems to be a respectable company that will make a large investment in ensuring my success.**

Could anyone provide some feedback or suggestions? I sincerely appreciate it!

Aflac is a very, very, very tough company to succeed in, for a lot of reasons.
If you have a moment of doubt, move elsewhere.

Dan

Aflac is a very, very, very tough company to succeed in, for a lot of reasons.
If you have a moment of doubt, move elsewhere.

Dan

Hands down I would go with MOO over the duck.

I appreciate your thoughts. I guess I had that gut feeling. Aflac seemed like a great opportunity (it is for some). I really fell for the glitter, the "easy" money, and the duck. I've had moderate success, but I still can't pay my rent or child support (I probably could if I didn't have to split all of my sales 50/50). :nah:

I'm gonna go with MoO.

Thanks!

Paul, you don't say where you're located, but along with MOO you could talk with the standard group of captive / career companies such as Met, Mass, Lincoln, John Hancock, Penn, New York Life, Northwestern, even Ohio National if you're in a career state.

That's where you're going to get some mentoring, financing, and training.

Paul, you don't say where you're located, but along with MOO you could talk with the standard group of captive / career companies such as Met, Mass, Lincoln, John Hancock, Penn, New York Life, Northwestern, even Ohio National if you're in a career state.

That's where you're going to get some mentoring, financing, and training.

This is good advice. You might also consider Guardian, Western Southern, Combined, Transamerica or AGLA.

Talk to newby or todd king, find them on the board. and consider selling final expense.

I bet they can give you some ideas.

They both have excellent reputations...

Hello, all. I'm new here, and thank you for at least reading my post.

I am currently working with Aflac in the midwest, but I am dissatisfied with certain aspects of this career. I gave up a secure, modestly-paying salary job (Procurement) to do this a couple of months ago. My main concern right now is that I am not comfortable with their training, aggressive agent strategy, and the over-saturation of agents in my area (although our market penetration is relatively low). I am very new to cold, face-to-face, b2b prospecting, and I really need a mentor by my side for the time-being (especially since I'm splitting sales with my DSC indefinitely). I'm VERY comfortable while presenting to a business owner or employee on a 1-on-1 basis. it's the prospecting that is getting me down (just walk into a business and ask to see the owner, and do this repeatedly until the owner gives in). I'm simply not making the money I need to make right now since I have children, rent, bills, etc.

**I realize prospecting is a necessary part of this industry, but does it have to be so brazen and awkward?**

I've interviewed with Mutual of Omaha twice recently, and my third meeting is today (decision time). It seems like they have a different approach to prospecting and marketing, a recognized name, as well as a diverse selection of products to sell. For a few years, they also will pay me a base figure if I meet relatively achievable sales goals, as well as more extensive product training. On the surface, this sounds like a much better future situation than with Aflac.

**I think Aflac is a GREAT company overall. However, I think they have created an agent culture of which very few even have a remote chance at making a living - A divorced dad paying rent and child support doesn't seem to stand much of a chance. Mutual of Omaha seems to be a respectable company that will make a large investment in ensuring my success.**

Could anyone provide some feedback or suggestions? I sincerely appreciate it!

Instead of the duck, you should talk to the goose. smokin goose on the forum worked with Combined in the worksite division. I believe he said they pay a salary for 12 weeks and give good training. It's basically what AFLAC does. He did well with them and recommends them, even though he's already out on his own.

If you don't feel comfortable with walking into a business and asking for the owner, then I would recommend doing something different. Changing carriers will not solve this. There is the option of working with brokers, but unless you already have relationships you'll starve trying to build those. It takes time.

Voluntary benefits is a tough gig. Even if you were to move to an independent situation with high contracts, you would do yourself a favor by adding individual products from different carriers to fill in the gaps.

I use the one on one enrollments to get individual life leads.

Not trying to discourage you. I just know how tough VB is, especially with low contracts. In saying that, there is lots of money to be made. Just be smart about it.

Back