Telemarketing Questions

For obtaining names and numbers, I use www.referenceusa.com which is free, through my local public library. As for the script, mine is a bit different:

Hi, this is Bob Levine, I'm an independent insurance agent, here in Decatur/Atlanta. I was calling to find out if you had a group health plan there, and, if you did, perhaps I could throw my hat in the ring when it comes time for renewal.

Have you been notified of the enhancement, and tax savings, offered to small businesses, in the employee benefits arena?

I then use some drill down questions, to find out what they have now, and why/what they are looking for.

If they are happy with what they have, and just want competitive quotes, I tell them I won't be of any help, but if they want to tailor a plan to fit their needs, perhaps we could get together then.

I don't waste my time with "tire kickers".

There are too many agents more than willing to waste 5 to 10 minutes of their life, that they'll never get back, running quotes for these types of people. I have yet to hear of a story where a tire kicker became a life long client. (although, I'm sure you guys are about to hit me with one)

arnguy said:
IMHO www.goleads.com replicates www.referenceusa.com. The advantage of www.referenceusa.com is that it is free at your public library as stated by Bob_The_Insurance_Guy. The disadvantage is that it can be utilized only when the library is open for business. I do think that $9.95 a month is a reasonable charge for those who prefer 24/7 access.

Your comment about access to Reference USA via a local library is not entirely true. Many libraries now allow patrons to access their catalog, which include Reference USA, via the internet.

Here is Howard County, Maryland, the only downside to this method is that you can only download 10 records at a time online and 50 at the library.

-J.R.

True

The library out here in Kansas City has a number of list broker sources that you can download for free anytime. You can download 25 records at a time, but can go back for multiple sessions.

You can also buy new business lists from the American Business Journals from your particular geography for a cheap price. you can ask for businesses that were set up 30, 60, or 90 days ago. The only thing with these is there are not always phone numbers for all listings, but most include business owner name & address.

Back