Telemarketing

Most of the time, depends on my mood and contact trying to reach.

I sell commercial insurance and work for a captive company that only insures niche markets. So when I leave a VM I keep it brief but pound home that they can not get a quote from us via a broker.

If trying to contact a large potential client I almost always ask for VM. Simple, I can in a few seconds get the above point across where in real time the person won't even take a sales call. Has worked very well in that regards.

Have been telemarketing biz owners for a couple years and for me the time to leave a message has been well worth it. Two of my largest clients are from call backs. Again these are folks who don't take sales calls.

The main thing to remember is biz owners/gate keepers get POUNDED by sales calls and are turned off by coy antics.

LM

I always leave messages! It takes what 10-15 seconds? If it's longer than that they won't listen to it anyway! When I receive a VM they have better say who they are, who they're with, and what's in it for me! That's all I want to know!

You've heard the phrase, "Less is more" right? USE IT!!

What you want to do is leave a message that creates interest! A teaser as they would call it in radio. Why should I call you back? What's in it for me? Quick and concise! I usually average about 1 call back out of 20 messages if not more. It's not what you say it's how you say it!

I could go on and on about it but don't have time now. I must call people and leave messages about what I can do for them!

I also believe that you should leave messages, but haven't had much success with call backs. Perhaps it's my message? Does anyone have any suggestions on "teasers" that they have found to be successful?

Very rarely do I leave a message, but when I do, I say this:

"Mike, jot down this number. 770-374-4531. Call and ask for Bob Levine. Might be of some help to you."

I say it in a very matter-of-fact tone. It's quick (7 seconds), gets them involved (writing the number and name), and piques their interest. No company name, no industry, so there is no preconcieved notions, no assumptions to block you. In other words, they won't say, "Oh, I don't need another insurance guy, real estate agent, etc."

Time is valuable. Don't waste theirs with a product dump, or intro to your company. Just direct them to call, and ask for you. That's all you need. You can take it from there.

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy said:
Very rarely do I leave a message, but when I do, I say this:

"Mike, jot down this number. 770-374-4531. Call and ask for Bob Levine. Might be of some help to you."

ouuuu....I like that......

Try this

Not a bad little script Bob, how successful have you been with it?

When leaving a message I think it's more of how you say it rather than what you say. As long as you sound upbeat, and sound like you truly care what you're doing you will have more success than the average guy with the monotone voice who hates his job. If I received a message from someone who's upbeat I'd be more likely to call him back than the guy reading a script who sounds like he wants to kill himself. Try it on your next few calls, use an upbeat and freindly tone, then call someone else with a monotone voice, see what happens!

If someone leaves me a message that does't say who they are with or from I'm hitting the delete button faster than a fat kid going for some cake!! That's just me though, maybe most people have time to call someone back who doesn't state their reason for calling. I don't care what they say if they don't tell me who they're with or what their name is.

Thoughts?

One thing that I learned about 5 years ago, is to loose the word "umm".

I make a conscious effort to eliminate the word “umm” from my speaking and replace it with a short pause. Brian Tracy calls it the Power of Pausing.

I think that this applies with voice mail, to increase the confidence in your message.

Example:

Mike jot this number down. <pause> 816-591-7377. Call and ask for Mike Gattorna. <pause> Might be of some help to you.

---vs---

Mike jot this number down umm 816-591-7377 umm call and ask for Mike Gattorna umm Might be of some help to you.

If you want to say who you are with, work it in.

K-Dub write this number down. 816-591-7377. Call and ask for Mike Gattorna. I be of some insurance help for you.

Back