That File of Old Prospects? Throw It Out

Since those quote sheets have all the underwritting data on them and intervew notes. I would recomment shreading them. Any California agents want me to do that for them let me know. No fee and free pick up.:biggrin:

Since those quote sheets have all the underwritting data on them and intervew notes. I would recomment shreading them. Any California agents want me to do that for them let me know. No fee and free pick up.:biggrin:

Here is the funny part...

I didn't read the story, but I can assume what the point is. Those old prospects are just an albatross around your neck, "china eggs" as someone likes to call them. You keep going back to them because you keep hoping and won't go find new prospects.

However, to a new agent, such as yourself, they are a goldmine. You haven't called them to death, they aren't ducking your calls and it is new blood for you.

Amazing how the same prospect can be death for one agent and money for another.

Vol and xrac,

Good points.

Our new contacts are someone else's old contacts. Maybe we should start a put and take lead pot.

I do revisit some old quotes. I usually pull something out. A lot are clients, referrals or orphan accounts so that is not the same as a cold lead. I decided to kick it in this year so I have been going back to some of those China Eggs. I have six pending (3 couples) that I quoted up to 8 years ago. These were orphans I have captured. These are not big cases. But the leads cost me zero and they were done by phone.

But yeah, I have some real time wasters in the old quotes file. I have been purging those, as well as, trying to fire some pain the ass clients. Firing clients is a whole other thread.

LOL! I have a shredding service that comes to my office if anyone would like me to take them off of your hands as well! I also won't charge for MD, DE, VA!
;)

.....In the modern age of dialers and drip email campaigns, I personally think this is bad advice. Maybe move those to a different priority, campaign, or list; but, certainly don't throw them out!

I think this is a valid point. I don't think I would throw any names away unless I disliked them. However, this article is written from the perspective of selling life insurance. As we all know the health insurance or medicare supplements is an entirely different beast. There tends to be little loyalties in those markets and rate changes can change failure into success.

I think this is a valid point. I don't think I would throw any names away unless I disliked them. However, this article is written from the perspective of selling life insurance. As we all know the health insurance or medicare supplements is an entirely different beast. There tends to be little loyalties in those markets and rate changes can change failure into success.

Again, didn't read the article myself.

But the point is, don't waste time chasing after people who have already said no or failed to say yes. Go find some new prospects. Now, if you have a system that can follow-up with no time investment on your part, go for it.

Too many people spend too much chasing after old prospect instead of finding new ones.

Timing can change, but values and chemistry usually don't. If you have gotten nowhere with a prospect and determine it is NOT a timing issue, that prospect is dead for you.

Back