The Champ Act

Senior, I want to lean that way too but HMO and PPO programs are a type of Medicare Advantage Program so that's why I am wondering and if this is not the case, then what!??!! Is it so that these programs are pulling funds from an entire different bucket with no holes?

If all this happens and the overfunding ends, then I can assume that premiums for all the plans will increase. However, I do not think that they will be out of reach for most.

Also, if this does all go through, it would not have an effect since most of the 2008 plans are inplace.

Here's what I'm banking on. AARP said they would intro a 2-yr MA plan, remember? Rollout should be soon...prob Sept-Oct. So AARP is very attuned to what is in place NOW for the next 2 yrs...thru 2009. Even if Congress trims budget, just the X-tra features would be dropped like $100 allowance for glasses, dental and gym. And zero-premium will continue for this coming year...2008

Hey Midwest, tx. I agree about 2008. I was curious about the next say oh... maybe 5 plus years ahead is all. I know that's a far stretch to guesstimate but I thought I'd bounce that off you.

Doc, AARP is trying to def. plan on more than one year out. They are a 'moving' forward 'planning' company. One thing is for sure... it's going to get more 'doggy dog' out there.

"The CHAMP Act also protects Medicare from privatization and promotes fiscal responsibility by reducing overpayments to private plans. Existing overpayments to private plans cost taxpayers tens of billions of dollars. According to non-partisan analysts, private plans are paid, on average, 12% more than traditional Medicare--and overpayments to certain plans exceed 50%. These overpayments are the result of a decade-long campaign by President Bush and Republicans in Congress to privatize Medicare by undermining traditional Medicare and promoting private insurance. Republicans believe that the greater the number of beneficiaries enrolled in private plans, the easier it will be to privatize Medicare. Full-fledged privatization would eliminate Medicare's guaranteed benefit and force beneficiaries to fend for themselves. The result will be higher costs, fewer benefits, and less health care for seniors and people with disabilities" ("Current Legislation--Children's Health and Medicare," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's web site, August 2, 2007).

LOL, yea, its all about privatization! We all know that the Government is much better handling such things then say private sector is. Yea, before the modernzation act Medicare was in fine shape, and I'm sure some believe this will save Medicare, yea sure and I have a bridge to sell ya! What a joke this is.

According to the Champ Act (HR 3162) the overfunding would be a phase-out over the next 4 years to 2011, where they will fund the plans at 100% of the FFS cost across the country.

What I gather from this, is MA plans will have a steady rise in premium over the next 4 years, but will not go away.

Back