The Champ Act

:DAlright... you got me... my mind was somewhere else....

Actually it wasn't but that's a good one and yio Arnguy, I appreciate the correction.

lol... okay come on now... work with me here! :-)

We have 2 meanings so far as I know.

First and foremost we have to acknowledge the profound creation of by none other than Mr. Frank Stansby of: Your Insurance Office!!! That is, afterall, the way 'yio' is mostly utilized on this board.

Now the other meaning (that I know of) is you know... "yio, what up dah?" Come on now... ghetto talk like, word up!!! :D Or like Joey from Friends, "yio how you doing? ....."

Get with it people, come on now!!! We're not that old, are we?!?! lol...

Any other connotations of yio that I'm missing ladies and gents?

P.S. Arnguy, perhaps my spelling is off; would you please correct it, if applicable?

Last edited:
Oh my, honest agent, Frank Stastny of YIO fame must be asleep. You butchered his name. I may have had too much tequila, but I caught that one. As to the other meanings of yio----I give up. In this neck of the woods it's "Yo" like in "Yo, Adrienne" in the movie Rocky. An example would be, "Yo, honest agent, watcha youse guys up to?" That's pure South Philadelphiaese.:eek:

Oh my, honest agent, Frank Stastny of YIO fame must be asleep. You butchered his name. I may have had too much tequila, but I caught that one. As to the other meanings of yio----I give up. In this neck of the woods it's "Yo" like in "Yo, Adrienne" in the movie Rocky. An example would be, "Yo, honest agent, watcha youse guys up to?" That's pure South Philadelphiaese.:eek:

Ohhhhhhhhh man I am in troooouuuuuuble! I did indeed butcher Mr. Stastny's name and I feel really awful. Frank, forgive me, please. There is no excuse for this other than my pure laziness and or sloppiness of confirming your name prior to my publication. Hey Frank, I am so so sorry; for names are important. I know, first hand, what it's like for names to be butchered and for that I sincerely apologize.

As for 'yo' okay, that's copacetic. I bite. And Arnguy, Rocky hits home for me!!!! I love Stallone; especially as Rocky. Thanks again for yet another correction and superb exampe! :-)

Midwest, I am curious, why do you feel or think that MAs PPO and HMO Programs are not affected by what's happening on the PFFS side?

Could you please ellaborate and also provide anything in writing? Btw, you say they've been around for 16 years in KC? What about the other states they're slotted in, if you happen to know, if applicable? Tx.

Honestagent:

Let me take a crack at this. Here is a link that provides the details on what I'm saying here. CLICK FOR LINK

One of the stated objectives of MMA 2003 was to increase plan availability in rural areas for MA plans. Prior to MMA, there were many counties with no MA plans available (rural). MMA created a "floor" for monthly capitation rates whereby many rural counties had a "benchmark" level well above the actual Original Medicare Fee for Service cost (FFS, not to be confused with PFFS!)

Smart insurance companies saw this and salivated, but how do they get an MA plan in a rural area? PFFS was the answer! Why? Two reasons: 1. No need for a network and 2. No need for to report quality measures. Instant access to those fat floor payments.

Although the plans were required to return 25% of the difference between the bid and the benchmark to the Medicare Trust fund, there was still plenty of money. Not only did the MA plans prosper, but very significant benefits also accrued to those who were enrolled in these plans.

Although MA plans generally cost 112% of FFS spending, PFFS plans are particularly expensive at 119% of FFS spending (original medicare costs). (See table 2 and table 3 in the above link for a breakdown by type of MA plan).

I was a little surprised that Local PPO's were also as expense as the PFFS plans (I would think they'd be more efficient) and I was also surprised that the enrollment figures (which are somewhat out of date, 2/07 PFFS enrollment was 1.3 million versus 774,000 shown here in July of 06) show that PFFS plan's enrollment figures are almost triple that of Local PPO's (that's probably even higher now!).

Does this help?

Craig

Great post Craig.

I know that in the KC market, the big 2 (Humana and Coventry) do not sell hardly any PFFS plans. They are mostly Local PPO and HMO.

The rise, I am guessing, is from the other companies, like Pyramid and Sterling just starting out in the market place. They started at ground zero in many markets, so they % increase is off since their enrollment #'s will be positive.

Back