The golden age of Medicare is over . Humana stock plunging.

You continue to argue against statements that I didn't make. I never said benefits have never changed. I stated quite specifically that companies had cut benefits and raised copays this year. I said chaos is a good thing.
I never implied that the changes would be bad for us, only that there will likely be a lot of changes and, therefore a lot of movement between plans this AEP. Definitely more shopping.

Which is why DonP's point is valid. We will spend a lot more time playing defense this AEP. This isn't a "sky is falling" statement (though his thread title is) but simply a reasonable assessment of possible business conditions that one should be preparing for so that you can both retain your book and take advantage of what will likely be a lot more people shopping their plans next AEP.

I hear ya. But, plans did not get worse in my state. They continually get better. But, I’ll welcome some higher copays. If every plan gets worse most of my clients will stay put.

I am wondering if there is a push inside Congress and CMS to limit bonuses paid to health plans. The WSJ, NYT and many others have been harping about plans being "overpaid" by Medicare/CMS.

Many other articles and statements by congressional leaders. I was told that the reason MA is being attacked by Hospitals is that straight Medicare offers a 15% surcharge availability to places like May Clinic, so they have decided to eliminate MA plans from out of state entirely. Quite the development.

Yagent all this coming chaos is about massive usage of services . Med sups will also be hit hard. I see some 30-40% rate increases in 2024-25. I see pdp’s up 30-50%

Well, add on Aetna to the trifecta of companies warning about MAPD.
You're looking at the MAPD peak. Seems all those wonderful freebies will be reduced.

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/insurance/cvs-health-medicare-advantage-utilization-2024

CVS Health has downgraded its 2024 earnings guidance as its Aetna health insurance subsidiary contends with higher-than-expected Medicare Advantage costs and a looming federal rate cut, the company announced Wednesday.

Aetna's Medicare Advantage business failed to achieve its margin target in 2023, according to CVS Health's fourth-quarter and full-year earnings report. The company will respond by raising premiums and deemphasizing strategies to gain market share, executives said during a call with investor analysts Wednesday.
-----------------

Medicare Advantage claims for outpatient hip and knee procedures, supplemental services such as dental and vision care, and respiratory syncytial virus vaccinations drove higher-than-projected medical spending, CVS Health reported. Aetna's medical loss ratio increased 2.7 % to 88.5% for the fourth quarter and 2.4 % to 86.2% for the full year.
------------
Aetna now joins other leading Medicare Advantage carriers such as UnitedHealth Group, Humana and Centene in warning investors that the segment is under stress. In addition to accelerated medical spending, especially during the fourth quarter, the sector faces a modest reduction in Medicare Advantage benchmark rates next year under a proposed rule the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services published last week.

“It's in line with our expectations," CVS Health President and CEO Karen Lynch said. "However, we do not believe it covers overall cost trends that have been emerging in Medicare Advantage.”

Insurers also are feeling the cumulative effects of other recent CMS policies such as modifications to the Star Ratings quality program and the risk-adjustment methodology and are cautioning policymakers and consumers that they will react to by taking steps such as raising premiums and scaling back supplemental benefits.

Back