The Importance of Follow Ups and Being Tenacious

Gooner

Guru
5000 Post Club
Atlanta, GA
Many on here view this business as a One and Done sale...while I agree that is typical and 90% of 'our' appointments we never look back if we don't close them. But what if...what if...we actually started taking 10 minutes a night to call back some of the "think about its"?

The last couple of months, I've started really hammering on the people that I think ARE buyers, but are just a little gun shy when I'm in their home for the first time. So far this month I've converted $2,500 AP for about 50 minutes worth of follow up phone calls. The 'I really need to talk to my daughter' or 'I need to examine the budget'...granted, most of the people who say this are laying on the BS, but if your radar is finely tuned, you can pick up on who the real buyers are. Just a couple of quick follow up calls in the evening got me back in the home to close the deals.

Then you have the 'no shows'...what do you do with those...most people, myself included up until a month or so ago, never even bother trying them again.

I've started going back by my no-shows this month as well. I converted $1400AP today and another $1,200 last week just by doing this. After studying our clients for the last year, I've come to realize that they don't care about anything except INSTANT gratification. So no wonder they sometimes leave us hanging. It doesn't mean that they aren't buyers.

Just some food for thought for those of you struggling and looking for ways to kill some time. There seems to be an abundance of "what should I do between appointments" threads here at the moment...

Many on here view this business as a One and Done sale...while I agree that is typical and 90% of 'our' appointments we never look back if we don't close them. But what if...what if...we actually started taking 10 minutes a night to call back some of the "think about its"?

The last couple of months, I've started really hammering on the people that I think ARE buyers, but are just a little gun shy when I'm in their home for the first time. So far this month I've converted $2,500 AP for about 50 minutes worth of follow up phone calls. The 'I really need to talk to my daughter' or 'I need to examine the budget'...granted, most of the people who say this are laying on the BS, but if your radar is finely tuned, you can pick up on who the real buyers are. Just a couple of quick follow up calls in the evening got me back in the home to close the deals.

Then you have the 'no shows'...what do you do with those...most people, myself included up until a month or so ago, never even bother trying them again.

I've started going back by my no-shows this month as well. I converted $1400AP today and another $1,200 last week just by doing this. After studying our clients for the last year, I've come to realize that they don't care about anything except INSTANT gratification. So no wonder they sometimes leave us hanging. It doesn't mean that they aren't buyers.

Just some food for thought for those of you struggling and looking for ways to kill some time. There seems to be an abundance of "what should I do between appointments" threads here at the moment...

Very true post. I always follow up unless I just KNOW they are dead beats

Just to be clear...you're door knocking the no shows when you are back in that area? Or calling them again to set another appt?

Cold knock, my line is "Hey you spoke to so-and-so at the office 3 weeks ago and we had an appointment, do you remember that" 'yeah' "Well, I don't know what happened, but we must have got our times mixed up and I was just driving by and had a couple of minutes to chat...do you mind if I come in and get you the information that you had requested?"

Done and done

Cold knock, my line is "Hey you spoke to so-and-so at the office 3 weeks ago and we had an appointment, do you remember that" 'yeah' "Well, I don't know what happened, but we must have got our times mixed up and I was just driving by and had a couple of minutes to chat...do you mind if I come in and get you the information that you had requested?"

Done and done

NUGGET!
:yes:
20 chars......

I'd say 98% of the time when you walk out without a sale its game over. I try 3 closes and each close is harder than the last as I know if I walk out without the signed app its usually game over. After my final and last hard close its usually i'll buy or get the hell out of my home.Its as simple as I paid for that lead and I want an answer today before i leave.I'm a cyborg when it comes to closing and nobody can hurt my feelings.My food is on there table an i'm hungry

I'd say 98% of the time when you walk out without a sale its game over. I try 3 closes and each close is harder than the last as I know if I walk out without the signed app its usually game over. After my final and last hard close its usually i'll buy or get the hell out of my home.Its as simple as I paid for that lead and I want an answer today before i leave.I'm a cyborg when it comes to closing and nobody can hurt my feelings.My food is on there table an i'm hungry

There is always exceptions to the rules. That's what Gooner is saying. I've sold a lot a second time. Sometimes it's a genuine reason why they don't get it the first time.

I don't disagree completely with you...just my observation, that if I think I really have a buyer that I will make the effort to follow back up. You say 98%, I said 90%...so we're splitting hairs a little.

But if you're broke and looking for some ACTIVITY...might not be a bad option.

I am relentless if I think there may be a deal there, but after the third time I get a poor excuse, I move on.

Back