The Necessary Tools: Starting in 2 weeks

:laugh:

These have all been helpful suggestions. I did ask in the office today and found that the laptop has specifications to run proprietary software. I'm currently looking at Dell small business to see what's out there for me, if anything.

Also, I found a link to the insurance software, it's called YIO (Your Insurance Office), and there's a link to it in these forums. That thread seems to have been hijacked, but the product looks promising. Anyone here have experience with it?

YIO is a good program to use. And if you use it you won't need the 3 ft length of Hot Wheels track.

Honestly for a single agent, you can be very productive with a good laptop ($300-$800), a laser printer ($99-$499), YIO agent software ($299), a good cell phone (I prefer a Palm Treo but the windows mobile phones have gotten pretty good too)$99-$399
Add in some quiet desk space, a land-line phone, a wired headset ($19-$39) a good ink pen, some kaki pants, oxford shirt, tie (optional), business cards (I print my own and they look fine) and some people to call or see...and you are in business and can compete with ANYONE out there.

If you go with Dell then look at Vostro or Inspiron. The reason I went with Dell is because you can get verizon wireless card built into the PC instead of one that sticks out (everyone damages their PC using those). I wanted remote internet access so I could make changes on the spot when I'm with a customer. You might even be able to do a paperless app and get an e-signature for a 1 stop visit...SOLD!

If you don't care for new then buy a 3-5 year old laptop. It will get the job done. You really need to find out from NYL about the sales process and what kind of software they expect you to use.

If your getting a new laptop with warranty and software you're going to hit $1000 pretty quick. You can buy alot of software with a student discount if you have kids (or a nice neighbor). I saved about $150 on the MS office suite.

Anyways if you want specific advice on the tech give me a PM.

I't also helpful to have duct tape, 2-flashlights, felt tip pens, binoculars, bull-**** repellent, the New York Times, an empty Cambells Soup can, coin changer, the pelts of 3-boil wevils, Satellite-powered database, Jiff Peanut Butter, a shoe horn, insect repellent, bicycle shorts, 3' X 2" length of velcro, a blond medium-length wig, a 3 foot length of Hot Wheels track (orange color prefered), 12 ice cube trays, a pair of dice, a jar of filtered sand, a spork, a 1968 Sears Christmas Wishbook, a purple cape and 3-live chickens. Your sales manager will teach you how to use these items.

All important but don't forget the duct tape! :laugh:

I't also helpful to have duct tape, 2-flashlights, felt tip pens, binoculars, bull-**** repellent, the New York Times, an empty Cambells Soup can, coin changer, the pelts of 3-boil wevils, Satellite-powered database, Jiff Peanut Butter, a shoe horn, insect repellent, bicycle shorts, 3' X 2" length of velcro, a blond medium-length wig, a 3 foot length of Hot Wheels track (orange color prefered), 12 ice cube trays, a pair of dice, a jar of filtered sand, a spork, a 1968 Sears Christmas Wishbook, a purple cape and 3-live chickens.

Your sales manager will teach you how to use these items.
In our agency we've boiled all this down to two items:

1. If it moves and it's not supposed to, use: duct tape
2. It it's supposed to move, but doesn't, use: WD-40

Simple is beautiful!:twitchy:

In our agency we've boiled all this down to two items:

1. If it moves and it's not supposed to, use: duct tape
2. It it's supposed to move, but doesn't, use: WD-40

Simple is beautiful!:twitchy:
If you can't fix it with bailing wire, duct tape and gorrilia snot (glue) it is beyond fixing.

"you can get verizon wireless card built into the PC instead of one that sticks out"
Anyone have other thoughts/preferences on this? The service (and device) look somewhat expensive. Is the money better spent on marketing materials or something? Here are the options from Dell:
  • AT&T BUILT IN MOBILE BROADBAND (HSDPA 3.6) [add $180]
  • Dell Recommended Sprint BUILT IN MOBILE BROADBAND (EV-DO Rev A) [add $150]
  • Verizon Wireless BUILT IN MOBILE BROADBAND (EV-DO Rev A) [add $150]
  • AT&T EXPRESS MOBILE BROADBAND (HSDPA 3.6) ExpressCard [add $220]
The AT&T is the best deal initially, because it comes with a $170 rebate, but if their service is lousy, I'll pass. I also don't know what their monthly charges look like (Dell is not forthcoming on this). I have little laptop experience, so any advice is welcome!

Cellphone:
I prefer a Palm Treo but the windows mobile phones have gotten pretty good too
The web-functionality of these more-expensive phones seems redundant with the built-in broadband from Dell. I'm thinking about leaving the web-browsing to the laptop and using the cell just for talking. I hate to continue to sound like a helpless newb, but does that sound reasonable to more experienced folks? I don't really know how I'll be using Internet access while in the field, but I'm imagining the laptop will do those functions better.

Will NYL require you to use the One Card System?

I don't think so. I looked the product over, and this seems to be a combination of a training/advice manual (NYL has loads of these) and an organizational system akin to the YIO product. Correct me if I missed something and this assessment is wrong, please. I was a bit turned off by the inclusion of 1000 notecards with the packet (wouldn't a digital file be easier for cutting/pasting/editing, etc.). Anyone else recommend OneCard?

Anyone have other thoughts/preferences on this? The service (and device) look somewhat expensive. Is the money better spent on marketing materials or something? Here are the options from Dell:
  • AT&T BUILT IN MOBILE BROADBAND (HSDPA 3.6) [add $180]
  • Dell Recommended Sprint BUILT IN MOBILE BROADBAND (EV-DO Rev A) [add $150]
  • Verizon Wireless BUILT IN MOBILE BROADBAND (EV-DO Rev A) [add $150]
  • AT&T EXPRESS MOBILE BROADBAND (HSDPA 3.6) ExpressCard [add $220]
The AT&T is the best deal initially, because it comes with a $170 rebate, but if their service is lousy, I'll pass. I also don't know what their monthly charges look like (Dell is not forthcoming on this). I have little laptop experience, so any advice is welcome!

Cellphone: The web-functionality of these more-expensive phones seems redundant with the built-in broadband from Dell. I'm thinking about leaving the web-browsing to the laptop and using the cell just for talking. I hate to continue to sound like a helpless newb, but does that sound reasonable to more experienced folks? I don't really know how I'll be using Internet access while in the field, but I'm imagining the laptop will do those functions better.

I don't think so. I looked the product over, and this seems to be a combination of a training/advice manual (NYL has loads of these) and an organizational system akin to the YIO product. Correct me if I missed something and this assessment is wrong, please. I was a bit turned off by the inclusion of 1000 notecards with the packet (wouldn't a digital file be easier for cutting/pasting/editing, etc.). Anyone else recommend OneCard?

I could not exist without my Palm/Treo phone and I have never sent an e-mail or hooked to the internet or used any web functions.

I use it for my database with notes and histories, calander, word documents, spreadsheets etc.

If I had to boot up a laptop every time I wanted to look at rate sheets, or look up my notes on someone, I think I would find a new line of work.

I could not exist without my Palm/Treo phone and I have never sent an e-mail or hooked to the internet or used any web functions.

I use it for my database with notes and histories, calander, word documents, spreadsheets etc.

This is helpful. I'll definitely consider this in my purchasing. There are a lot of phones out there, and it's good to have such a solid endorsement available. Boot time is an important consideration.

If I had to boot up a laptop every time I wanted to look at rate sheets, or look up my notes on someone, I think I would find a new line of work.

I love my iPhone. It syncs well with PCs (outlook) or Macs (address book and iCal) using the free iTunes software as a "gateway." And it has a fairly good email system, due to get much better when the new version of the software comes out in a month or two.

The great thing about iPhone is that it has a "real" web browser, not the limited piece of junk on most phones. Because I use SugarCRM on a web server I have instant contact with all the data in my office no matter where I am in the world... so long as I can get an internet connection.

The iPhone works great on wi-fi but the ATT Edge network is crap. Slow as an old bloodhound in Arkansas on a 100 degree summer afternoon. But they say that is also going to be improved.

As for "boot" I've never turned my iPhone off so I don't know about boot time.

The iPhone is not perfect, but I looked at everything else out there and for my needs it fills the bill. I'm also an "Apple guy" so I'm a bit biased.

YMMV.

Al

I love my iPhone. It syncs well with PCs (outlook) or Macs (address book and iCal) using the free iTunes software as a "gateway." And it has a fairly good email system, due to get much better when the new version of the software comes out in a month or two.

The great thing about iPhone is that it has a "real" web browser, not the limited piece of junk on most phones. Because I use SugarCRM on a web server I have instant contact with all the data in my office no matter where I am in the world... so long as I can get an internet connection.

The iPhone works great on wi-fi but the ATT Edge network is crap. Slow as an old bloodhound in Arkansas on a 100 degree summer afternoon. But they say that is also going to be improved.

As for "boot" I've never turned my iPhone off so I don't know about boot time.

The iPhone is not perfect, but I looked at everything else out there and for my needs it fills the bill. I'm also an "Apple guy" so I'm a bit biased.

YMMV.

Al

Al, Does the iPhone run excell spreadsheats and word docs?

If it does it will be one for me to consider when I change next time.

Back