The never ending Special Election Period

Tkruger

Guru
1000 Post Club
Nationwide
I have noticed a significant trend over the last couple of years about people with no available election period, changing their plans almost every month. I've dug deep, no LIS, no Move, no 5 start, no CSNP, no prison or LTC release...you get the idea.

I refuse to write these people. I try to educate them on why it is a bad idea to continue to do this as just when benefits become available, they go away.

What is your best guess at how this is happening?

Perhaps they are still recovering from the affects of hurricane Katrina
...one of the original sep options!

There is no SEP in the area. Gone through the entire list and not one that exists.

Ga,Sc and Fla have Hurricane sep from dec 8th to dec 31st . Means anyone who didn’t elect aep can use till dec 31st . Means your book of business will be under attack for those 3 weeks by phone centers . It means I’ll be working those 3 weeks to write more Jan 1st business . You can basically move in mapd yr round .

Sorry folks, let me be a bit more specific. The states didn't qual for any SEP 2020-2022 FEMA related. Still trying to figure this out.

Don hasn't responded . . . he seems to know every possible, and impossible SEP. I believe he said one of the carriers (Humana?) has a blanket SEP that does not require special coding . . . or something like that. He may have said/intimated he can write anyone with that carrier by just claiming a non-specific SEP. I could be wrong, but that is not my market and I mostly have him on ignore.

Just one of the reasons why I like Medigap . . . very few SEP situations and no exceptions for the "no one told me" SEP

Don hasn't responded . . . he seems to know every possible, and impossible SEP. I believe he said one of the carriers (Humana?) has a blanket SEP that does not require special coding . . . or something like that. He may have said/intimated he can write anyone with that carrier by just claiming a non-specific SEP. I could be wrong, but that is not my market and I mostly have him on ignore.

Just one of the reasons why I like Medigap . . . very few SEP situations and no exceptions for the "no one told me" SEP

Yeah, thx for sharing. MAPD and Med Sup are what I am helping people with now.

We had some 70 MPH winds come through our area earlier this year. Ended up giving about 8 Counties a SEP even though there was very little damage, maybe an irrigation system blown over or whatever. Was absolutely no way it affected anyone’s Medicare enrollment. Now everyone gets to change their PDP once thru Medicare.gov since they changed a couple things pertaining to PDP’s for 2023. Just as well make it year around enrollment bc that’s obviously what they want.

Sorry folks, let me be a bit more specific. The states didn't qual for any SEP 2020-2022 FEMA related. Still trying to figure this out.
Illinois had a Monkey Pox emergency declared by the Governor. and Aetna honored a Monkey Pox SEP for a couple of months. Wellcare didn't honor it.

I guess it doesn't have to be through FEMA.

Last edited:
Back