The Walk and Talk

I would suggest not walking into businesses unannounced. It really doesn't say "I'm a busy professional with tons of clients because I'm so good at what I do." lol

I really don't care about the perception of "being a busy professional", I care about being a busy professional. B2B is a very effective way to fill a calendar. I prefer results, not the perception of results.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I always call first and make clear that I don't drop in unannounced. I think most busy professionals appreciate it. Besides, who makes better clients, busy people or people sitting around with time to meet you during the day anytime you happen to walk in?

You may believe this, but I can tell you it's only in your head. It's all about your approach language and body language that determines how you are perceived, not whether the approach is in-person or on the phone. Both approaches work well.

If I have meeting with Bob at ABC Co. and have twenty minutes before I need to leave for my next meeting, why wouldn't I walk into the businesses next door and make a short introduction? What else am I going to do during that time that will be more productive?

Here is the reality, some people prefer to be approached in-person, some on the phone. I have had clients tell me both. The other factor, you have no idea in advance. To rule out B2B because some would prefer a phone call in advance is like ruling out the phone because some would rather meet you in-person first.

Last edited:
Having ran a couple of businesses I have dealt with tons of salesmen. Honestly I prefer that someone just show up. That way I only deal with them once unless I am truly interested and become a customer/client or at least entertain their offer. The other way I am interrupted both by a phone call and then by an appointment. That is honestly my person preference. Very few people cold walk businesses and I thus respect those that do. A good professional can build a case for a hearing quickly.

Having ran a couple of businesses I have dealt with tons of salesmen. Honestly I prefer that someone just show up.

Everyone is different. Two clients off the top of my head:

1. "I'm all set....click" on the phone approach. I walked in one week later not realizing we had talked before, nicest guy in the world and I got an AOR on the business two weeks later. He was my biggest client until this last year and still is a client (I have the group health plan, ancillary benefits, voluntary benefits, and a portion of the owner's retirement dollars). Told me later he absolutely hates salesman calling on the phone, wants to see who he is dealing with before committing any time.

2. Another client I just met with him last week for an annual review, we've worked together for about a year. After I took over the business's health and dental plan, we got to talking. He told me he thinks people that just walk in are rude, they should call and give advance notice.

In general, I have found it easier to get someone's time by politely walking in, being low key, and asking for a few minutes "either later this week or now if you happen to have time to give you a quick preview of the type of work I do, then let you decide if we should talk further." The phone allows you to reach more people which helps make up for it being less effective. However, if you are already in the field and unwilling to walk in and make an introduction because "it's not what professionals so", that's avoidance behavior.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Besides, who makes better clients, busy people or people sitting around with time to meet you during the day anytime you happen to walk in?

Personal experience: those that are willing to set-up a time on the phone for you to stop by without knowing exactly how you can help them are typically less busy. Stopping in B2B, they didn't have to plan their day around you. That's a B.S. excuse. Either approach works if you are out there working.

Last edited:
You called me out and you're right...avoidance. I've cold walked but hate it. I'm thinking of splitting my list so I can call and then walk a month or so later. At the end it's activity that matters most.

I did BtoB for months to get off the ground. While BtoB cold calling does indeed suck it's arguably the most effective way of getting business if you're lacking financial resources and need immediate income.

You called me out and you're right...avoidance. I've cold walked but hate it. I'm thinking of splitting my list so I can call and then walk a month or so later. At the end it's activity that matters most.

I would expect you to do the same for me. I wouldn't even worry about keeping two seperate lists. If you make a phone call and schedule a meeting with Bob at Johnson Machining, simply stop into the neighboring businesses, tell them you were around the corner meeting with Bob and wanted to stop in and make a quick introduction:

"I'm sure you're busy, but I was around the corner meeting with Bob and wanted to stop in for a quick introduction. I'm going to be back out here tomorrow morning, would you mind if I stop in for a quick 5 minute introduction, unless of course you happen to have a few minutes right now?"

..a meeting with Bob at Johnson Machining, simply stop into the neighboring businesses, tell them you were around the corner meeting with Bob and wanted to stop in and make a quick introduction:

"I'm sure you're busy, but I was around the corner meeting with Bob and wanted to stop in for a quick introduction. I'm going to be back out here tomorrow morning, would you mind if I stop in for a quick 5 minute introduction, unless of course you happen to have a few minutes right now?"

Excellent point. Business owners often times know neighboring owners, and they talk to each other and give/take advice about all kinds of things. The fact that "Bob" trusts you enough to do business with you can be huge. Even better get "Bob" to walk over there with you for a personal introduction.
Or if you find trouble in doing that ask Bob if he is friends with any neighboring business owners...take Bob out to lunch and tell him to invite that business owner along, buy them both lunch and get your foot in the door that way.

The walk and talk method is under rated in my opinion (even though I dont do it anymore).
One of the partners of my firm still brings in 1 or 2 groups a month doing walk and talks. He doesnt do many, but is very good at them.
Wherever his daily travels and appointments take him, he looks for businesses to stop in and at least get a card and gather basic info on the biz from the receptionist. If possible he shakes the owners hand and sets an appointment. If not, he calls the owner the next day.

If you are professional, persistent, courteous, and confident it can be an effective method of prospecting. I have gained many groups from both phone cold calling & business walk & talks. But everyone has their own comfort zone and strong points. Its just a matter of finding what works for you.

BtoB cold calling does indeed suck it's arguably the most effective way of getting business if you're lacking financial resources and need immediate income.

I haven't done it in a while, but for me at least, I would much rather walk & talk than smile & dial. W&T can actually be fun unless it is too cold, too hot, rainy . . .

What do you guys say when you walk into businesses cold? Do you introduce yourself and say a variation of your script that you use on the phone?

I plan on doing some this week and leading with health insurance.
A simple introduction with calling card and brochure says it all then walk. You can save time too.

Back