Thinking About It

daddioh

Expert
I would like some advice from those in the "industry". I have been a realtor for the last 5 years. Fortunately, I averaged about $40k even during the downturn. Currently it has finally caught up with me. I have about 3-4 months worth of savings, but after that...I am currently looking for a "real" job to supplement real estate. The market will pick back up at some point, but who knows when. Unfortunately, I only have 66 semester hours and "most " jobs require a degree. This leaves me with low paying "entry" level jobs and those jobs requiring a degree. I was a Master Sergeant in the USAF, 8 years corporate (IP, FedEx), and 8 years total real estate. I have been contacted on Monster for insurance jobs (GEICO, Liberty National, AFLAC and Mutual of Omaha). I am attempting "due diligence" and thought yall's experience would help immensely in determining whether the insurance route would be feasible or if I should keep looking for a 9-5 something. My clients have been very satisfied with my representation, but after viewing this board it doesn't appear like many people actually like and are successful at insurance. My 25 plus years experience has been in the customer serice/sales arena. I guess I am just rambling now...any thoughts (yes, I have been praying about it). I know already not everyone believes so no offense to non-believers. Thanks

My clients have been very satisfied with my representation, but after viewing this board it doesn't appear like many people actually like and are successful at insurance.

Don't let the posters on this forum serve as a barometer as to how successful you could be at insurance sales.

I know there are a handful (or two, maybe?) of successful agents on this board.

The agents I personally know who are earning $30k plus per month, don't have time to post on here......YMMV....

If you are still averaging about $40,000 realize that it may take you 1-3 years to reach that level selling insurance unless you are exceptional.

Last edited:
My wife works, so realistically I would need to make about $24k to be able to cover everything. Real estate would be supplemental. The thing about real estate is you could have nothing going and then BAM! $5-10K in one month (I'd bank it!).

Thanks

My wife works, so realistically I would need to make about $24k to be able to cover everything. Real estate would be supplemental. The thing about real estate is you could have nothing going and then BAM! $5-10K in one month (I'd bank it!).

Thanks

If you have a good work ethic, will prospect for clients, and sell the right products, you can make what you want to make.

It is my opinion that most agents fail because they are not willing to put in the time, and WILL NOT PROSPECT. I'm sure there are other reasons.

It does help that your spouse works because it made it much easier on me while I was building up some business. It still does.

I would suggest you take a hard look at yourself, and be honest with yourself. If you are willing to prospect all day long, then you can make it. If you hate cold-calling by phone or in person, probably not.

This I can say. I have been in the insurance business for 1 1/4 years and I am making well over what you say you want to make. I will be glad to share with you what I do if you want to give me a call. If I can do it, you can do it. My number is 540-241-1702.

Oh by the way, I am a believer, and I know for a fact that if you do what's right for the client, don't sell them products simply because they pay a higher commission, and live by the golden rule, God will take care of you financially.

Last edited:
Back