This California Law Is Ripping Away American Dreams. The Left Wants to Take It Nationwide

Just because there are bad apples does not mean we need to start creating laws
These laws are only about basic standards. They're not about enforcing that every employee has a dedicated parking space and personal assistant and a guaranteed position for life, with full pensions.

Easier said than done. And not easy working under conditions where you can be replaced for the latest flavor of the month at any time. There has to be a balance point within those extremes.
It's tough competing in the global economy. If you don't always do what's most advantageous for business your competitors will end your existence. American business doesn't need micromanaging from Congress to be more competitive/likely to survive.

I've had jobs where they cut benefits and pay. My last job was outsourced. Disney and CA ConEd have replaced their workers with foreigners, I'm told. It's dog eat dog, rat eat rat.

Robert Kiyosaki was a failed Amway rep who discovered selling books to a captive MLM audience was far more lucrative. The characters in his book are pure fiction. His financial background is spotty at best.
Who was that guy from the early-mid 20th century who wrote a book about how to become rich yet there's no record of his financial success before selling the book?

It's tough competing in the global economy. If you don't always do what's most advantageous for business your competitors will end your existence. American business doesn't need micromanaging from Congress to be more competitive/likely to survive.

I've had jobs where they cut benefits and pay. My last job was outsourced. Disney and CA ConEd have replaced their workers with foreigners, I'm told. It's dog eat dog, rat eat rat.

I 100% agree about what you say about businesses competing, and not needing to be micromanaged by congress. This law, however, is to protect employees that are being taken advantage of by large businesses because they want to play business person or "side hustle" when in fact they are just being underpaid and overworked employees, but not experienced or sophisticated enough to know it.

When you had jobs where your pay and benefits were cut, you were still an employee and protected by certain laws, and likely paid above minimum wage. These independent contractors are not. I've talked to these people. These aren't sophisticated business people for the most part, these are people taking on extra work so they can drive a shiny convertible or buy an Iphone they think they need, or get new rims. Or need extra money because they refuse to control their spending, for whatever reason.

The other edge of that sword is that Americans should accept a lower standard of living in order to compete globally, which is likely a far less desirable option. And if governments keep out of the business world, say goodbye to tariffs on imported goods and hello to massive unemployment.

Who was that guy from the early-mid 20th century who wrote a book about how to become rich yet there's no record of his financial success before selling the book?
Imagine learning about the secrets of MLM success from someone who not only failed at MLM, but doesnt even work in the MLM industry nor sell his books via MLM? Would anybody buy a Michael Jordan book where he discusses the fine art basket weaving?

Nobody wants government intervention yet at the same time expects that their vehicle won't explode because it met government safety standards.

Back