To All Those Who Said Life Insurance on Children Was a Bad Idea

Re: To All Those Who Said Life Insurance on Children Was a Bad Id

An inexpensive term life insurance plocy would have helped this couple. As it stands they are left holding the bag.

It all depends on the type of loan as well. A very sad case, indeed.

I think it is a great idea to have it on kids. Just need to watch out and make sure it is the right thing for a client.

I feel for the couple, but they signed the documents. While I disagree with ol' Dave Ramsey on many things, I do agree with him on this. Never co-sign for a loan you aren't prepared to repay in full.

They had many chances to handle this situation. Life insurance bought as a young child, life insurance as a teen, or a term policy once he graduated college. He had debts that wouldn't disappear at his death, he needed life insurance.

I think it is a great idea to have it on kids. Just need to watch out and make sure it is the right thing for a client.

Exactly. There are some people out there though that get offended when you mention the idea of life insurance on a child.

In my opinion, I think the most that is needed on a child is 10,000 to 25,000 when they are younger. Recommend something that has good paid up options. In this case it would have been a good idea for the couple to purchase something more when these loans were taken out.

Just another reason.

Most people never even consider LI on a kid until an agent mentions it; and as mentioned, some get offended at the thought that they might "profit" off of their childs death.

One of the main reasons to have coverage on a kid is to ensure their insurability in the future. Every kids policy sold needs to have a guaranteed insurability rider attached to it.

I used to work with an agent who was very passionate about this. One of his kids developed a condition at age 8 that made him uninsurable. Pretty much the only coverage that will ever be available to him would be through a GI work plan.

Most kid policies only cost $15 or $20 per month. A small price to pay for guaranteeing that your kid will always be able to have LI coverage.

I also love how they quoted some supposed expert who states:

"It is a cautionary tale to be told," said Chuck Drawbaugh, owner of College Funding Associates, a Rumson company that advises parents on the cost of college education. It leaves parents to consider once unthinkable options such as buying life insurance for their teenagers. "Often times, they're not going to buy it. Money's tight, especially trying to get their kids through college."

This kid could have likely gotten a policy the day before he died for less than 15 bucks a month. If money was so tight that was impossible, they should have seriously reconsidered college from the start. Hell, I'll give up my weekly coffee habit if it means having the ability to avoid a monthly payment on some loans for which I'm on the hook if something happens to my son.

But take it to a different level, I see people all the time who have something like a $50,000 policy through work and a $200,000 mortgage and a pile of credit card debt and they are "all set" on the life insurance side of things.

I run into younger professionals all the time who have six figure student loan balances and zero life insurance but more importantly zero disability insurance. They talk about affordability all the time.

It really comes down to thinking you'll never be in that situation, and our having to force the uncormfortable issue.

I've forced people to take me step by step what they would do, everytime we eventually get to, "Oh yeah, forgot/didn't think about that."

On the other side of the spectrum...I have received more then a few requests lately from Mothers (here in South Sacto) for some type of AD (stand alone product) they can take out on their sons that are less then 30 years old due to all the Gang Banging going on.

Back