To Be or Not To Be

Go with Bankers. Give it six months to a year. It may be hard... very hard... but the experience will be terrific. You will learn about sales, about yourself and a lot of things they don't teach you in college. THIS is the time in your life to take a risk. You can always get a nice, safe, salary job later. Be bold. Take a chance. You won't learn much of value with the med job. You will learn a ton of stuff (some good, some bad) with the sales job. And Bankers is not the only fish in the sea. Look at Met or NYL, or MassMutual or Northwestern. Don't worry about your loans. You will pay them off in due time. They won't put you in jail.

You are YOUNG. This is the time to be adventurous. You have the rest of your life to be 'mundane'. The best education I got was AFTER I had just graduated college. All my friends went into nice high-paying safe corporate jobs. I went HERE. Read it. You will learn something. You have the rest of your life to live in a cube. While you are young... take a chance! Just do it! You will not regret it.

Al
Adams-Blake Insurance Solutions

Charlie Watts had a job at the post office, a good job in the UK and one everyone told him to stick with, great pension! Well, he didn't take their advice, maybe he should of you know he had to design his own pension!

Thanks for the advice! I see the overwhelming sentiment here is to go for the safer bet. FYI the medical supply company upped their offer to $41K with guaranteed 10% bonus and possible 10% add'l contingent bonus. Plus benefits and 401K, this seems like the wise choice. As some of you have said, I can enter the insurance game later on in life. I'll renew my license in 2 years and take the additional req'd continued education hours so I can keep myself educated about the industry and available to be an agent. al3, I appreciate your advice as well, but I think the other route probably has the best outcome for me in the long run.

Take the med job. Everyone who is suggesting you take the med job has "been there, done that and even has the t-shirt".

Even if you disagree with what the majority of us are saying and decide to go with insurance instead, do not go with Bankers.

Insurance is always going to be here. The opportunity to sell insurance will always be available. With the first year drop out rate of probably well over 80% anyone who can fog a mirror can get a job selling L&H at any time.

You will not make $55,000 your first year with Bankers, $30,000 to $35,000 will be a lot more like it. You will pay all your own expenses, put in very long hours (probably 60 hrs per week minimum), and from what I have seen their training sucks. All the Bankers agents I have run into use high-pressure to try to make a sale.

There are no benefits, you will have to get your own health insurance. You will be busting your butt with Bankers, be disappointed, very frustrated and rue the day you turned down the med job.

Everything Frank said is 100% true.

But you are only young once and a true risk-taker is one who has nothing to lose.

Later on you will probably marry and have children and will not be in a position to do (as Monty would say) "something totally different."

I'm 60 and I know a lot of others my age or older. When I have dinner with them often the talk turns to "If only I had...."

Here is a life lesson. Years ago a reporter went up to Janis Joplin and said "Janis, the way you "screech" when you sing, aren't you afraid you will harm your voice for later in your career?"

She replied, "Why should I sing mediocre today just so I can sing mediocre tomorrow?"

One last thing... a few words to live by:

My my, hey hey
Rock and roll is here to stay
It's better to burn out
Than to fade away
My my, hey hey

-Neil Young

Al

Looks like the majority prefer the "bird in the hand" choice. You can always leave if it doesn't work out.

Reminds me of a story I read long time ago.

One day Socrates was approached by a group of his students, and one asked him "oh great teacher, what should I do? should I get married, or should I remain single"?

He pondered a while, then replied, "Whichever you do, you will regret"

To Al....I read your short story, and it brought a tear to my eye. What a nice tribute to name your company after them.

Back