Tobacco Rating

Who is most liberal with getting a non tobacco rate? I have 57 year old who quit smoking 4 months ago. Needs $400k 10 yr term. What would be minimum length of time to get non tobacco rate? I guessed at one year but wondering if any carrier will do less??

You can get Standard Plus with American General after one year. After two years, you can get Preferred at Protective.

Who is most liberal with getting a non tobacco rate? I have 57 year old who quit smoking 4 months ago. Needs $400k 10 yr term. What would be minimum length of time to get non tobacco rate? I guessed at one year but wondering if any carrier will do less??

Why not have them underwritten as a smoker immediately with an ART, then switch to a longer duration after 1 year has passed.

Why not have them underwritten as a smoker immediately with an ART, then switch to a longer duration after 1 year has passed.

May be a good idea. As long as he stays a non smoker and as long as he does not become less healthy and term rates do not raise. Give him the option.

Another is write the ten year with a company that will allow him to change to a non smoker later. Higher premium first year than the ART probably but within a a couple years the ART will most likely be higher.

Give the options then ink it.

Another is write the ten year with a company that will allow him to change to a non smoker later. Higher premium first year than the ART probably but within a a couple years the ART will most likely be higher.

8 months paying on an ART will definitely be cheaper than 1 full year on a 10-year before asking for reconsideration.

But you're correct in that all options should be addressed.

8 months paying on an ART will definitely be cheaper than 1 full year on a 10-year before asking for reconsideration.

Cheaper is not always better. It certainly can be, but it is not a certainty. I have clients that died that would have been better off buying a cheap term instead of the whole life plan that they bought. I also have a bunch of people that bought term 20 years ago that sorely regret it now. Because they neglected to die and will now pay much more.

Personally I would be recommending they go the Smoker route. I would show them an ART or 5 year and if that is what they want, Cool, sign here. As they are signing they also will sign a note that I showed them the ten year.

No right or wrong way to do it. Just different ways.

Thanks everyone for tips. I hadn't even thought to do ART. He has some other insurance in force that is convertible. This to cover a short loan so may do the trick.

Back