Typical Part B expenses for hospital admissions for folks on Original Medicare

timeflies

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
The Anthem Med Supp enrollment/sales kit I use has an example of what a beneficiary would spend if they just used their Medicare card and was hospitalized for 15 days, and how a Medigap policy would cover these charges. The chart shows the Part A deductible cost of $1,340 for 2018. It also list Part B charges of $12,000 and the patient would be responsible for 20% of that amount, which is $2,400, as well paying the Part B deductible of $183 for 2018. Is it typical for someone to be billed $2,400 for their 20% cost-sharing of the $12,000? $12,000 seems high for Part B charges, but since I work mainly with Medicare Advantage members I am not familiar enough with what typical charges for a hospital stay would be for someone on Original Medicare. It these types of charges are common, then going the MAPD route makes a lot of sense for folks that cannot afford, or qualify for a Medigap plan, since they only pay the per diem rate for the first 3-5 days of the hospital admission. I know there are lots of reasons for folks to avoid MAPD plans, but my question is about typical Part B charges for hospital stays.

I would love to know how they came up with $12k for B charges as an inpatient.

I can't say what "typical" B charges are for an inpatient stay. If there was a surgeon and gas passer those would fall under B. Depending on the source of the B charges I would not be surprised to see $12k repriced by 85% or so of gross billed charges.

About $1800 max allowable charge with Medicare paying $1440 and patient paying the $360 balance.

Using your comments above, have you seen an MSN which would show the $12K as Part B facility costs and then the allowed column also showing the $12K figure, but then the 2 cash columns dropping to the $1800 figure?

I'm wanting to understand what sort of Medicare procedure is going on there.

Unusual for hospital INPATIENT facility fees to hit $12k. Outpatient, as in ER, yes, but not for hospital inpatient. Most B charges by a hospital under inpatient start in the ER. Cutters and gas passers usually not on staff and they bill separately.

And yes, deep discounts by Medicare for outpatient care happens a lot. Not unusual to see 60 - 70% reductions but 80%+ on things like DXL

ok, thanks. looks like i need to learn about differences between in and out patient charges for medicare.

Last edited:
I thought depending on the reason for the stay it's a straight line 80/20 split on original medicare eligible billings from the hospital (20% of medicare discounted provider rates) for any Part B coverage.
If the patient is observed or inpatient
the MedSup/MA would pickup the rest including the Part A/B deductible. (depending on which Medsup is in place). Some people ditch their K/F plans for MA's specifically for the cost savings and lack of any meaningful difference in coverage for their situation.

Back