UHC Not Cancelling MAPD Plans if You Don't Pay...

Nikita

Guru
100+ Post Club
From what I have heard and read, it seems that UHC is not going to cancel their AARP Medicare Complete clients or their Care Improvement Plus clients if they don't pay their monthly premiums...anyone else heard this? I am just wondering if somehow the agent will end up with a chargeback. Seems like a very screwy situation, I don't see how they can charge some customers for the plan and others that don't pay get to keep their plan...

From what I have heard and read, it seems that UHC is not going to cancel their AARP Medicare Complete clients or their Care Improvement Plus clients if they don't pay their monthly premiums...anyone else heard this? I am just wondering if somehow the agent will end up with a chargeback. Seems like a very screwy situation, I don't see how they can charge some customers for the plan and others that don't pay get to keep their plan...
If they terminate the member they lose the Medicare funding for that member. Good reason to be slow on the termination trigger. Doing this doesn't cause a chargeback. It prevents one.

If they terminate the member they lose the Medicare funding for that member. Good reason to be slow on the termination trigger. Doing this doesn't cause a chargeback. It prevents one.

yes but think how many customers they lost in the first place by switching from a zero premium to a $29 premium. Its hard to believe the amount they make from the small premium makes up for losing all the medicare funding from the customers they lost....

yes but think how many customers they lost in the first place by switching from a zero premium to a $29 premium. Its hard to believe the amount they make from the small premium makes up for losing all the medicare funding from the customers they lost....

If they were losing $$ on them, it could be some way of dwindling the herd and corralling them into a UHC MAPD that nets them more $$?

If they were losing $$ on them, it could be some way of dwindling the herd and corralling them into a UHC MAPD that nets them more $$?

That doesn't always work...for example, in Iowa this past AEP, UHC lost thousands of MAPD clients who switched over to the Coventry MAPD, which had 4.5 star rating and was zero premium, and $2000 lower max out of pocket. I don't think UHC expected that.

There are better options for Medicare members in counties with higher populations. Low population counties have only "poor or worse" for MAPD options.

That doesn't always work...for example, in Iowa this past AEP, UHC lost thousands of MAPD clients who switched over to the Coventry MAPD, which had 4.5 star rating and was zero premium, and $2000 lower max out of pocket. I don't think UHC expected that.

I see repeated dumb business decisions by UHC-----in Ga for long time they owned the dual-plan market and for 2015 they reduced vision and dental benefit as other carriers came into GA with a dual plan with much better benefits-----they seem to be "penny wise-dollar foolish", there attempts to save a few bucks is going to cost them market share and they obviously haven't figured out they aren't the only game in town

Back