Undecided: MA or Med Supp??

Frank -

Be careful with defacing any part of an MA brochure. This is against CMS rules and regulations. You cannot modify any part of the material.

You are going to have to show me where it says that highlighting pertinent information in a brochure is consider "modifying any part of the material".

You may want to review the definition of the word "modify". In English it is defined as: to make partial changes to.

How does highlighting information fall under that definition? I am not modifying anything.

True you are not modifying anything, but according to CMS, any changes you make (highlights, underlines, pen marks, etc) is considered a no-no.

Granted, I am sure there is some leeway with this, and if the client never reports you to CMS then I do not see how they would know.

Highlighting IS modifying material. The brochures, et al, have been approved exactly as printed. By highlighting, you are pointing out that some material might be more important than other information.

In fact, you are not even allowed to WRITE your name and phone on a brochure. You may staple your business card.

CMS is a pain in the ass!

Rick

Rick

That is an understatement!

I guess they are just going to have to throw me in jail then. :D

If they ever "crack down" on that I'm sure I will have a lot of company being with all of the other agents who want to make sure their prospect throughly understands exactly what they are agreeing to .

My clients and prospects need help wading through all the BS required by CMS.

Highlighting IS modifying material. The brochures, et al, have been approved exactly as printed. By highlighting, you are pointing out that some material might be more important than other information.

In fact, you are not even allowed to WRITE your name and phone on a brochure. You may staple your business card.

Rick

I thought that while you are sitting in front of the prospect (ie. live and in person) it is permissible (by CMS) to circle items on a brochure and write anything on it you wish. Anyway that is what was told to me. YMMV.

Al

I thought that while you are sitting in front of the prospect (ie. live and in person) it is permissible (by CMS) to circle items on a brochure and write anything on it you wish. Anyway that is what was told to me. YMMV.

Al

I will continue to do what is necessary to insure that my prospect understands all of the implications of taking a Medicare Advantage plan.

I am not even remotely concerned about CMS knocking on my prospects door after I leave asking to see the information I left with them.

They would have a hell of a time proving in a court of law that I had violated their sacred rules and regulations by helping a prospect understand all of the mumbo jumbo.

As the drunken mouse said, bring on the damn cat. :D

I will continue to do what is necessary to insure that my prospect understands all of the implications of taking a Medicare Advantage plan.

I am not even remotely concerned about CMS knocking on my prospects door after I leave asking to see the information I left with them.

They would have a hell of a time proving in a court of law that I had violated their sacred rules and regulations by helping a prospect understand all of the mumbo jumbo.

While I agree with you and in fact I highlight, circle, etc., CMS does not have to prove a damn thing. Every insurance carrier has the same training information. You may make no changes to any material. Technically, you care not even allowed to send an email or a letter!

You can do anything you want to a Med Supp brochure (as far as I can tell), but you can do NOTHING to an MA brochure.

All it takes is one a-hole to have a claim that is denied (even if it would have been denied by Medicare) and show CMS the brochure where you missed highlighting the exclusion. You are guilty and have no defense. They have to prove nothing in court. A quick note from CMS to your MA carrier could cancel your contract in a heartbeat.

Now, when I'm elected the first Libertarian president, I'll change all this. Until then, just be careful.

Rick

While I agree with you and in fact I highlight, circle, etc., CMS does not have to prove a damn thing. Every insurance carrier has the same training information. You may make no changes to any material. Technically, you care not even allowed to send an email or a letter!

You can do anything you want to a Med Supp brochure (as far as I can tell), but you can do NOTHING to an MA brochure.

All it takes is one a-hole to have a claim that is denied (even if it would have been denied by Medicare) and show CMS the brochure where you missed highlighting the exclusion. You are guilty and have no defense. They have to prove nothing in court. A quick note from CMS to your MA carrier could cancel your contract in a heartbeat.

Now, when I'm elected the first Libertarian president, I'll change all this. Until then, just be careful.

Rick

I totally agree with everything you said. However, having my contract cancelled would not present a hardship on my business nor is it going to alter my efforts to insure that my prospect understands everything. I have continued to recommend and write supplement policies. I do not feel that MA plans have had a dramatic impact on my supplement business.

When I explain the difference between the two to my prospect he/she, so far have, opted to take a supplement. I have only sold two MA plans this year and they were to clients who were told by a United World agent that they could switch plans, not on their anniversary date, and United World would issue the policies even though the both were insulin dependent diabetics and he had a stint put in his heart six months ago.

She even called me and asked me what she should do before the UW agent was to arrive.

He sold them the policy at the end of December, 2006 and told them to cancel their current policy effective January 1, 2007. They left and went to Gulf Port on Jan 3 and didn't return until the after the first week of March. When the arrived home they each had a letter from Mutual of Omaha telling them that they their application had been denied along with a refund check. They had been without insurance for over two months and didn't realize it.

Because it had been over 60 days when she called me for help apologizing for not taking my advice, the insurance company would not re-instate their policy without going through underwriting.

The only option for them was to take a MA plan. Needless to say, they were very upset!

If you can change CMS then you will definitely have my vote.

Back