Underwriting/pre-screen

I work similar to TX but with a few differences.

After confirming they really are looking for coverage and their time frame here is what I do next. I immediately start to verify information including their current carriber & premium. I ask specific details about their current plan including copays & deductibles.

Very important! Ask how many times they go to the doc. This is the setup for getting them off a copay plan.

I will do a pre-screen only if the situation is not clear cut in the underwriting guidelines. Most agents won't take the time to work on challenging or borderline cases. These are where my best clients & referrals come from.

Agents seem to fall into two categories.

Those who quote & submit apps on everyone. Health Benefits Direct is an example.

Those who only want to write folks without health problems.

The way I see it, anyone can write the 35 yr old with no health problems. It takes extra effort to find coverage for a 58 yr old on heavy pain meds for migraines.

People appreciate it when you take an interest in them and look for ways to help them solve their problem. Many of my clients are people who have been declined by other carriers. Either they applied direct or went thru an inexperienced agent.

I wrote one this week where the hubby was 6' 3" and 276; wife was 5' 6" & 200#. One of their children was ADD.

All were issued standard. The child with ADD had a slight rate up to cover his meds.

They had applied to BX who had rejected hubby & wife and would not cover the ADD meds.

If BX had approved them for the plan they THOUGHT they wanted the premium would have been over $900 per month.

The plan they settled on was $260.

They were so pleased they referred me to a relative who is paying $800/month for hubby & wife.

I earn my referrals and take pride in what I do for my clients.

Those who quote & submit apps on everyone. Health Benefits Direct is an example.

I didn't know about "HBD" - I am working on a website using Health Benefits Agency.com (I own the domain name). I don't know if that is going to be a good thing or not.

Bob - Who did you use to place the folks in your example?

Health Benefits Direct is the boiler room operation out of FL that slams people into GR Saver & Time Right Start plans.

I put them with GR. Only carrier that would issue mom & pop standard. Put 2 of the kids on the same plan and a third (the ADD kid) with Aetna. I wanted to put all of them on the same plan with GR using the HSA but they weren't ready to take that kind of plunge. Instead we used Plan 100 + an Aetna PPO 3500.

Back