Uninsured Can Enroll Through April 30, 2015

Good thing we have a law in force. Why not just have 12 month open enrollment? Until we get to single payer that is.

Why pretend that laws have any meaning? I guess I can go to the DMV here and sign up some more people here illegally. I get $25 for Medicaid enrollments. Anyone have an interpreter I can use?

Rick

It's important to note, OEP has NOT been extended. A SEP has been created.

-Must live in a state with a FFM
-Must not be enrolled in coverage through FFM for 2015
-Must attest when they filed their 2014 tax return, they paid the fee for not having coverage in 2014.
-Must attest that they first became aware of, or understood the implications of, the Shared Responsibility Payment after the end of Open Enrollment (Feb 15) in connection with preparing their 2014 taxes.

Should work for almost all uninsured, but I'm sure you can see how some won't qualify. It's also worth noting that a pro-rated penalty will be generated for months uncovered in 2015 (potentially 5 months of penalty, 4/16-30 submission is 6/1 effective).

Official release: 2015-02-20 - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services

Good thing we have a law in force. Why not just have 12 month open enrollment? Until we get to single payer that is.

Rick

This would make more sense than the growing number of penalty waivers. With this latest announcement, anyone who goes uninsured from January thru May of this year will be waived. (April 30th enrollment = June 1st effective date) The penalties were supposed to fund a big chunk of the subsidies.

You're right Greensky about the total lawlessness. This Administration should be totally embarrassed..and seriously concerned that the Supreme Court will decide to destroy this monster before it wrecks more havoc on the country.

This would make more sense than the growing number of penalty waivers. With this latest announcement, anyone who goes uninsured from January thru May of this year will be waived. (April 30th enrollment = June 1st effective date) The penalties were supposed to fund a big chunk of the subsidies.

You're right Greensky about the total lawlessness. This Administration should be totally embarrassed..and seriously concerned that the Supreme Court will decide to destroy this monster before it wrecks more havoc on the country.

I wonder if that if that happens if it will prompt a batch of state run exchanges like the crap we have in CA. But since the pretend law was deemed constitutional by our the supremes (when did they start making laws?) there is a good chance they'll decide to re-write Obamacrap based upon the intent = AGAIN.

That's how I can get out of paying taxes by saying I intended to do it.

Rick

AC could you post the link where it says they're waiving the penalty for up to 5 months?

GreenSky,
What state are you in that pays you $25 per Medicaid? Is that per month or one time?

I'm in Washington State and working with the Gov's office on state exchange resolutions on issues...we need to get paid on Medicaid as well.

In WA the SEP is Feb 17 - April 17

AC could you post the link where it says they're waiving the penalty for up to 5 months?

This most recent penalty exemption-waiver is currently being promulgated by the budget-strapped IRS, Houcoogster.

However, it will be added to the chart at the bottom on this IRS page before fy2015 filing season gets underway: Individual Shared Responsibility Provision

Coverage available to everyone, and the non-coverage penalty waived for anyone who wants a waiver. Awesome, eh?
ac

Friday 2-20-2015

Uninsured now have until April 30, 2015 to enroll in a plan. Also, 800,000 Marketplace customers received incorrect tax information and must re-file, or delay filing their tax return this year.

Ref: Health Exchange Sign-Up Period Extended Through Tax Season - WSJ

-and-

Ref: HHS extends Obamacare enrollment, says 800K filers got bad subsidy info

ac

It must be difficult enough to price as written. Now the rules change? You don't suppose somebody that isn't sick in February who opts not to join the fun will opt in in April when he discovers a tumor somewhere?

Latest posts

Back