United American?

Juddzilla

Expert
I am considering getting into the individual health market, and I have been contacted by United American (UAIC). After doing a search here on the forum I found some negative comments about them, but I couldn't pinpoint exactly what the issues with them were.

Please no mud-slinging, I am simply on a fact-finding mission regarding a new stream of income, and I seek the advise of those with more experience in this field than I have. Also, I am in Northern California, so who would be some better alternatives to contract with in the individual health market?

Thank you in advance for your help!

United American's policy are quite appropriate for those that have major medical problems and can't qualify for standard medical coverage.

In some cases, even the "Open Enrollment" rates through the state are more competitive that UA.

But if your prospective client is in average health or better, UA would not be a viable alternative.

I'm sure that the reps familiar with CA will give you a slew of companies to consider.

"slew." Now there's a word you don't see used very often.

To give you an idea of how successful you might be with United American, I didn't even know they sold individual plans in California.

I sell mostly Nationwide because I like their plans and rates in most areas of California. This way I also have a competitive advantage against most other agents who sell mainly the "Blues". If my prospect already has coverage, it is likely with one of the "Blues" giving me an opportunity to sell something better.

If I only sell the "big guys", I lose the ability to sell what I know is the best product (HSA primarily) and how do you sell against Blue Cross if you only write Blue Cross?

Rick

Thank you all so far. I'm very interested in learning more, especially in alternative companies. I will look into Nationwide immediately, thanks GreenSky!

GreenSky,
Any idea why Nationwide is not doing individual medical in more states? They don't seem to be anywhere near the east coast. I agree with you on the HSA.

Juddzilla,
I'm with STIBroker on this issue. I'm just not sure how a limited benefit plan is supposed to help someone with chronic pre-existing conditions (which is the only market that UA seems to have cornered) when those things aren't covered hardly at all on that type of plan. Then if they do have inpatient needs, the UA plan is capped to the point where they could owe a great deal anyway.

I'd have to conclude that the $250+ monthly premium would be better suited paying for the clients immediaate needs like meds, testing etc. versus a plan that doesn't help them for what they need it for in the first place.

Not bashing, just giving you a different angle on these plans. As Greensky points out, check into what's being offered. Learn it all. Become an expert and then pound the pavement.

GreenSky,
Any idea why Nationwide is not doing individual medical in more states? They don't seem to be anywhere near the east coast. I agree with you on the HSA.
Their plans are technically group plans, "owned" by the Ohio and California Farm Bureaus. I guess (someone help me on this) that they can avoid some of the DOI issues by doing this.

It's interesting that in California, if you can write 80 policies in a year, you are one of the biggest agencies and will qualify for a trip to Hawaii.

I like being a big fish in a small pond - especially when I really like their plans. And by the way, I have not had any claims issues except when providers don't give them all the info (same as all carriers).

Rick

Back