Upcoming Meeting with Broker--advice Needed

I am not new to the insurance business, but I am new to selling. I started in January with a company that sells supplemental health insurance policies. I made my first sale last week! I was making cold calls and I ran across an old account that had not been serviced in several years and I was assigned to that account since I found it. When I called them back with this information they told me that they use a broker. The people that I work with told me not to hold my breath as brokers never call you back and that while I should try and work with the broker I should not put too much effort into it. Well I was able to get in touch with the broker and he informed me that things did not go well with that account and that he had a bad experience with the former rep that had this account. He then told me that he works with another rep from my company now and that over all he is satisfied with our products and that he was not working on this account right now but he will be working on it in the next month or so. He then started asking me about my background and stated that he wanted to meet with me. I informed my managers of this and the regional manager stated that I had to take my manager along to this meeting. I'm not sure I want to take my manager as this broker does not need to be sold on our company's products nor does he want to discuss this particular account at this time. I think that he might be interested in talking to me about selling for him. As of right now I am an independent agent and I am not sure how selling for a broker works. My managers are of the opinion that I should avoid working with brokers at all costs because they take all of the commissions. I would like some advice on working with brokers and also if I should take my manager with me to this upcoming meeting.

Latest posts

Back