US Health

As was pointed out by newmindfashion there was an insurer called US Healthcare that was domiciled in Blue Bell, PA. It was one of the early HMOs and probably one of the first on the east coast. It was started in 1975. Aetna purchased the company in 1996 and the name US Healthcare was phased out. The founder of US Healthcare was a pharmacist who was a salesperson for Parke-Davis by the name of Leonard Abramson. He retired a multimillionare upon selling the company. He has been very generous with his fortune and is a well-known philanthropist in the Philadelphia area. There was no connection to the US Health Group mentioned by J.R.

U.S. Healthgroup sells Freedom Life Health Insurance-their most popular plan, the MedEssential HSA, is virtually identical to Assurant's SaveRight HSA. That's because Ben Cutler, the former CEO of Fortis, is now the CEO there.

They offer a 9 month advance, 18% introductory commission, and allegedly have exclusive telemarketing leads to business owners.

I was contracted with them for a few months, wrote an application for myself, and wound up on a telephone interview for 25 minutes going over every question in full detail-unfortunately, the interviewer barely spoke English so I quit right after the interview. The app is still paper although they push 'the pen' which transmits as you write but is no replacement for an on line app.

I see no reason to sell this plan, even if you don't mind the limited Outpatient treatment, when the same plan from Assurant is no more expensive and you have no phone interview, an online app, and a 12 month advance.

I hope that helps.

Mike I am moving from Phila to Vero Beach Fl and am looking for a good broker for health,life,disabilty,etc. and spoke with the regional mgr for Vero Beach yesterday and am doing research on UShealthgroup. Mgr told me that they are the best rates in FL and are offering big insentives if you stay with them till 2010. I looked at their brochures and now i'm trying to get a quote to see how their prices compare but could not find a quote anywhere. That's unusual. Any suggestions form anyone.

Thanks Tony

I have been selling individual/family health plans all over Florida since 2003.

For what it's worth, US Health (and Freedom) are non-players. They may have the best rates for garbage plans, but they are still garbage plans.

Back