Anyone have a verified answer on whether or not it's allowed to use the word "Medicare" in your business emails or website? Like [email protected] or something like that?

I read the CMS marketing guidelines and it's clear you cannot market your business in a way that sounds like you are a part of, affiliated with or endorsed by Medicare. What about just having the word in your email or website?

Anyone have a verified answer on whether or not it's allowed to use the word "Medicare" in your business emails or website? Like [email protected] or something like that?

I read the CMS marketing guidelines and it's clear you cannot market your business in a way that sounds like you are a part of, affiliated with or endorsed by Medicare. What about just having the word in your email or website?

I would say no you can not use that.

I don't believe you could use it as part of an email address. But I believe there are web sites out there that use Medicare options Medicare Advantage or even Medicare supplement sites with a.com after it. I believe you just have to make it perfectly clear that you are not affiliated with Medicare itself and then you are selling a secondary product

The reason for my question is certain websites are currently allowed to exist like: Medicare.com (not part of Medicare), Medicare.org (Not a part of medicare) and a bunch of others that are blatantly misleading.. I was just hoping someone had a real compliance answer on the limitations allowed.. I tried to ask CMS directly, you don't want to know how long and unhelpful that was...

I don't believe you could use it as part of an email address. But I believe there are web sites out there that use Medicare options Medicare Advantage or even Medicare supplement sites with a.com after it. I believe you just have to make it perfectly clear that you are not affiliated with Medicare itself and then you are selling a secondary product

I'm wondering what those sites email address are? Usually when you have a website domain name, your email is [email protected]

I've simply made the rule to avoid or explicitly state that we are not affiliated with Medicare.
God forbid something change regulation wise I wouldn't want to have to re-create the wheel to get compliant. But that my $0.02. You know whats left over after taxes. :D

Go to any one of those bigger companies sites and scroll down to the very bottom and read the tiny little fine print. You'll almost always see a little statement like..."we are not affiliated with or endorsed by Medicare or the federal government blah blah blah. They all seem to have that.

It might make more sense to get advice from a licensed attorney who specializes in that sort of law. I mean don't get me wrong...you can certainly ask a bunch of insurance agents on this forum (many of which are on their tenth beer right about now...which makes them even more qualified to give sound legal advice). Joking aside...there are thousands of bored attorneys out there that would probably give advice or even help write some simple disclaimers or terms and conditions for less than $100. Money well spent for your own peace of mind.

Back