VA Hospital Benefits Creditable for HIPAA Pre-ex?

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
I have found on a couple websites the statement that VA Benefits (not Tricare) are creditable for HIPAA to avoid pre-ex 12 mo. waiver on group insurance.

There is someone I am attempting to assist, and I don't want to say anything not backed up by actual rules.

Have searched gov't websites, haven't found precise language. Anyone have a link for this?

The ones I have are sites like cancer society, or a site selling insurance. There must be one at Treasury or DOL.

Help is appreciated!

This is a 2013 plan based issue.
Still need help with whether we may be able to reverse the claim denial for someone who signed up on group insurance without proof of prior "creditable" coverage last summer. A claim was denied for coverage of a condition he had been treated for recently. He was unaware of the coverage issue before hand, and is not happy, but has accepted the situation.
If VA coverage is "creditable" under HIPAA rules, he should have the claim denial based on pre-ex reversed.
So, my question is, can anyone confirm that VA coverage is/is not creditable coverage under HIPAA rules applicable to plans written before 1/1/2014? Not Tricare, but being enrolled for benefits at VA hospitals.
I will benefit greatly from the info you provided, that the VA benefits can stand in for coverage to avoid the penalty for no insurance after the deadline in 2014. Just having the VA contact info is gold. I learned a lot talking to the very knowledgeable rep, who could issue a letter to verify coverage start date, but has no knowledge about VA creditable, except for as it relates to Medicare rules.
(yes for Medicare D, no for Medicare B)

If he Is near a VA hospital as or clinic have him talk with a VA social worker. Get the info from the source.

Thanks, will do. Another reason to contact them: VA phone rep. told me vets should notify the VA of their other medical insurance so it's in their records. Sometimes there's coordination of benefits.

Back