Victim of hit-and-run

LaurenAS

This morning, I was the victim of a hit-and-run incident on my way to work. I was in a line of traffic in the right-hand lane of a main road and a woman in the left-hand lane tried to get around a car that was stopped to make a left turn, but she clearly didn’t look and she drove right into the back driver’s side of my car. She left the scene of the accident, but I was able to get her license plate # (luckily it was an easy to remember vanity plate). I called the police, who inspected my car and told me the damage and paint from the other woman’s car was consistent with the story I told them of what happened, and they would get in touch with the driver of the other car to get her insurance information. They called the driver, she claimed it didn’t happen, they never inspected her car, and simply wrote in the report that I said one thing, and the driver said another. No investigation.

Now, I’m stuck paying 1) my deductible, 2) the diminished resale value of my car, that now has an accident report, and 3) higher insurance rates.

Apparently in the state of Connecticut accidents are “no fault” and this is just how it is. I don’t understand how a hit-and-run can be no one’s fault? And why is the victim of a hit-and-run paying out thousands of dollars while the other driver (who committed a crime!) gets to walk free with nothing but a few bumper scratches! No accident report on her car, no insurance rate jump, nothing. This system makes no sense to me.

A few thoughts in no particular order:

1. Stuck paying the deductible is a LOT better than paying for thousands of dollars of repairs
2. Unless there is something particularly valuable about your vehicle AND you were planning on selling it, diminished value differences generally aren't much of an impact.
3. In some states (again, insurance is a STATE regulated product), a hit and run won't count against you for rate increases because you're not at fault and it's treated more like a comprehensive claim.

Push your insurer to subrogate. Some do it aggressively, others not so much. Unfortunately, I don't believe you're in a state that has UM PD coverage or you could file the claim there. Diminished value claims vary. Some are are a few hundred dollars, but I've been involved with claims for diminished value of $3,000 - $7,000 and I've heard of a DV claim of $15,000 on a high-end SUV.

Apparently in the state of Connecticut accidents are “no fault” and this is just how it is

Where on earth did you get that idea? It's not true. Connecticut is "fault" based.

I don’t understand how a hit-and-run can be no one’s fault?

Where are you getting that stuff from?

It's possible that a driver can hit another car and not be at fault (depending on the circumstances) but still leave the scene without stopping to give information. It's possible that she didn't feel the hit and doesn't believe that she did hit you.

And why is the victim of a hit-and-run paying out thousands of dollars while the other driver (who committed a crime!) gets to walk free with nothing but a few bumper scratches! No accident report on her car, no insurance rate jump, nothing. This system makes no sense to me.

Sometimes bad things happen. That's why you have insurance.

If you want to personally take some action I suggest you get your camera and go take photos of her car to see if there is any damage or paint transfer that will prove your case and then sue her in small claims court.

Otherwise, rely on your own insurance and hope that your company subrogates and gets reimbursed so you get your deductible back.

Back