Voice Mail: What Do You Say?

After about 5-7 calls and 2-3 voicemails, I leave what I call the "silk tie salesman" voicemail. Stupid, yes. Effective, absolutely.

"John, Hi it is Nic again. I feel like you are avoiding me like I was a silk tie salesman. I get it--you think I am trying to sell you something you don't need. The reality is John, that I only need 10 minutes of your time to determine your eligibility and see what kind of insurance you are looking for...be it with a medical exam or without. Number again is xxx-xxx-xxxx."

Stupid as it sounds, it gets calls back....clients mostly laughing about it.

Separate from the crowd......

I like that. :yes:

I had a message on my machine yesterday that I thought was someone slick. Turned out it was legit.

The beginning was chopped off and all I heard was: ... so if this is not good for you, please call us at 1-800-123-4567. Otherwise, we'll be there tomorrow. Thank you!

I thought it was some slickster being clever. Turned out it was my bottled water delivery guy.

Most agents are leaving similar kinds of messages about calling the agent back in reference to the prospect's insurance quote inquiry they made online, so all the messages sound the same to the client.

Rather than leave the same old generic sounding message, you might want to leave a message that will pique the prospect's curiosity instead. The author of the book "Secrets of Question Based Selling” says in his book that "Once I learned how to make people curious, voice mail became a terrific asset and a good friend. In fact, one of the secrets to my success in selling was that I had a very high engagement rate - 95 percent of the voice-mail-messages I left generated a return phone call... Why did they call back? It's because when I left a voice mail message, I didn't think about features, benefits, solutions, needs, or relationships. I only thought about one thing - what could I say that will cause this person to become curious enough to call me back.”

Here’s a couple of the examples he gives in the book:

“Hi Susan, this is (your name and company). I was hoping to catch you for a minute because I have a question... that only you can answer. If you could please call me back, I’ll be in my office this afternoon until around 4:30 P.M.”

He says “Before you dial the phone, just think of a question that only your prospect can answer.”

Since they are getting calls from other insurance agents, if you have “Insurance” in the name of your business you may want to consider filing a DBA (doing business as) with a more generic business name (your last name + Enterprises for example) so they don’t ignore your call due to hearing that you are with an insurance company in the voice mail message. Again you want them curious, so if these people are getting multiple calls from other insurance agents and your business name gives you away, you will not be able to pique their curiosity.

If you are a P&C agent selling homeowners insurance or a life insurance agent wanting to use the mortgage protection angle, since internet insurance leads come with the prospects address, you could use the following for those who are not renters. If you are able to access the county tax records online in the state you are calling, you could print out their county tax record and leave a message like the following that the author lists in his book:

“Hi, Mr. Jones, my name is Dave Brown, and I’m with ABC Enterprises. I’m holding a copy of your county tax record for your property at (such and such address) in my hand... and I have a question. If you would, could you please call me back at (404) 555-1234. I should be in the office first thing tomorrow morning.”

The author gives additional info in his book, but these are a couple of examples.

I am straightforward in my message. "Hi Bob, this is Jack Lenenberg with LTC Partner. I am following up on your visit to my website this afternoon. I am starting to work on your project and just have a few quick questions for you to ensure I complete your quotes properly. When you have 2-3 minutes, please feel free to call me at (800) 891-5824. Thanks." By the way, before I ever call a lead an auto reply from my website has already been sent out thanking them for their request for quotes, and indicating that I might wish to speak with them for a few minutes. It may be a day or two after their request, before I ever attempt to call them but they are expecting my call. After I call and leave my voice message, I send a second email indicating I just tried to reach them by phone and would like to speak with them for a few minutes. Most people call me right back. Many within minutes after my leaving the voicemail/sending the email.

Last edited:
I been working in direct sales for over 16 years. You are selling something and "Nobody likes a Salesman", a famous saying. So you must leave a simple brief voice message such as, Hello my name is John, please, I'm trying to reach.... if a person or if it is a business I am looking for .....(their industry), ask them to call you back and the telephone number. Keep it very simple and don't let them know what you were calling about. If you do this, you will get more callbacks.

Folks,
I've been reviewing the return requests for "bogus" leads for trends & one reason that is appearing more than ever before is: Won't return my calls.....thus: lead must suck:(

This reason doesn't come from my big lead buyers: ie: those that buy over 90/month...but is becoming more frequent for those that buy less than 50/month.

Several questions to those of you that have success with leads:
1] What kind of message do you leave?
2] Do you send any email messages?
3] Do you do anything else?

I have talked to a number of agents lately to see what message they leave & to ask for processes. Most agents leave the standard VM message of: Hello, this is Bob from Allstate Insurance. I see you were looking online for an insurance quote. My number is: 615.555.5555. Please call me back so I can help you.

So, how many here think a consumer will call this type of VM message back?

IMO: When you leave a message, ask yourself: Would I return this call?

Personally, I think no chance on the above example. I have several ideas but would love to hear from you first. Then I'll give you a few pointers I think will help from the guys I've talked to that are making leads work.

Let's see if we can help folks on the Forum make some money!

I been working in direct sales for over 16 years. You are selling something and "Nobody likes a Salesman", a famous saying. So you must leave a simple brief voice message such as, Hello my name is John, please, I'm trying to reach.... if a person or if it is a business I am looking for .....(their industry), ask them to call you back and the telephone number. Keep it very simple and don't let them know what you were calling about. If you do this, you will get more callbacks.

This is absolute BS. If you view yourself as a slick willie salesperson maybe. If you are a professional, and have positioned yourself as an authoritative source whether it is through your website marketing, articles, blogs or books you have written, testimonials, etc. then you have now earned the right to receive the callback. If you do not believe you have earned the right to receive the callback by clearly stating who you are and why you are calling, then start working on your credentials, your craft and your reputation so you can earn this right. Stop all this smoke and mirrors advice!

I am lucky enough to work in an agency that sells P&C, commercial, life and health and happen to get my license just after another agent left the company. so free leads!

I try to keep it simple after some very long-winded attempts failed miserably.

I made sure that the other agents were okay with my addressing their customers & "name dropping" them first, and now I mention that I am doing policy reviews and notice that "Jill" has their home/auto/business but that I see no mention of us having discussed life insurance with them...we offer free quotes and policy reviews, please let me know if you would rather come to the office, discuss over the phone or if you would like me to stop by.

I do say their name, greetings, my name and where I am calling from. I also leave the number.

Again, I am lucky to have warm leads....;)

Back