Wanting to Make the Correct Choice Starting Out????

SPPB

I am almost done completing my licensing, but am confused as to which company to work for, I know exactly what I want but am not able to find it in a company. My main goal is to be able to cary over clients from the first place I start so after several years I can go independent, and not be caought up in a no compete contract suite, however on the that note I also want the same company to have competitive commission and top notch training, if such a company exist please let me know, seems as if every I talked to who I a captive agent feels that way, "captive" and whisked they took the independent route.... This I don't want.

I am almost done completing my licensing, but am confused as to which company to work for, I know exactly what I want but am not able to find it in a company. My main goal is to be able to cary over clients from the first place I start so after several years I can go independent, and not be caought up in a no compete contract suite, however on the that note I also want the same company to have competitive commission and top notch training, if such a company exist please let me know, seems as if every I talked to who I a captive agent feels that way, "captive" and whisked they took the independent route.... This I don't want.

You seem to be concerned about what the company can do for you but what can you bring to the company is the real question.

I'll be completing my bachelors degree legal studies, including contracts, next May. I spent a summer doing door to door sales out of state where I received great training and sales skills. Unfortunately as I said I am starting out so interns of carrying a book over I nothing to offer, but this is the situation I don't want to be in 5 years down the road. I guess what's the best way to start independent and still gain broad product knowledge of other insurers.

I'll be completing my bachelors degree legal studies, including contracts, next May. I spent a summer doing door to door sales out of state where I received great training and sales skills. Unfortunately as I said I am starting out so interns of carrying a book over I nothing to offer, but this is the situation I don't want to be in 5 years down the road. I guess what's the best way to start independent and still gain broad product knowledge of other insurers.

Well you have to choose between being independent or being captive. It sounds like you have people who have preached to you the disadvantages of being captive, but have you spoken with anyone who has told you about the advantages? As a captive agent you will be bound to whatever company you write for, such as State Farm, Farmers, Allstate, etc. However, with these companies you are going to receive much more training and guidance, you also will get free marketing because they run commercials all the time, and you will get the credibility that comes with being attached with these companies.

Being captive is not all bad. For a beginner, I think it is smart to start as captive before going independent. You will get invaluable training and experience that you wouldn't have. I live in a town with about 20,000 residents and probably 20 insurance agencies. Of those 20 about 15 are captive, not independent. Of those 15 I would bet that 12 or 13 of the agents have not changed in the 12 years that I've lived here.

As for starting out one and going to the other.... You are going to have to sign a non-compete, there is not a company out there that won't make you sign one. The one I signed said that I could not engage in insurance sales within 20 miles of the town the agency was located in for 12 months after leaving the company. I thought it was fair. But I've heard some are more restrictive.

No company is going to offer what you're looking for.

Pay your dues as a captive and figure out if it's something you're even interested in doing. If you're any good at it and branch out, starting "from scratch" will be a great deal easier when you actually know what you're doing.

A good number of captives make more money and have less stress than independent agents.

Thanks for that, it was helpful. What company are you working with?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Josh said:
No company is going to offer what you're looking for.

Pay your dues as a captive and figure out if it's something you're even interested in doing. If you're any good at it and branch out, starting "from scratch" will be a great deal easier when you actually know what you're doing.

A good number of captives make more money and have less stress than independent agents.

Thanks for that, it was helpful. What company are you working with?

Last edited:
Back