What’s your opinion on Sales Leaderboards?

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
I know a Sales Manager who likes to post the monthly sales ranking of each salesperson in his selling region. He says that it spurs competition and that the leaders like to see their names on it (no monetary prize involved). I don’t think that it does a whole lot, IMO. What have you noticed?

Prior to venturing out on my own many years ago, I worked for a few large corporations in sales. They all were masters of tracking metrics and displaying them daily to the sales team. Typically people in sales who deserve to be there never want to see their names at the bottom of a list, and if you hired correctly your sales people should be highly competitive.

It especially motivates your upper 1/3rd (often Pareto's principle applies where 20% or slightly more of your team does 80% of your sales) and for that reason alone it's worth it. No one at the top wants to get beaten.

We have auto emails go out every time an agent gets a sale. This not only lets me know immediately when we get new sales but also lets every other agent know they need to pick up the pace.

It absolutely does a lot.

I know a Sales Manager who likes to post the monthly sales ranking of each salesperson in his selling region. He says that it spurs competition and that the leaders like to see their names on it (no monetary prize involved). I don’t think that it does a whole lot, IMO. What have you noticed?
Most people like recognition and top sales people tend to be very competitive. For those that do not make the board, it lets them see what is possible..

I'm always on the leaderboard, usually at number one or two for a small regional carrier. That one doesn't impress me much because they're so small that it doesn't take much production to make the top five.

On the other hand, last month I fell off my primary carrier's top 25 YTD for the first time in many months. That was very disappointing, and motivates me to work hard to get back on.

I'm competitive and I want the number. I would probably sell a lot more if there was a competition.

I know where I am at (generally, because they don't release it) for BCBSTX Indy and I am waiting on the O65 report for 2017. (Which I may or may not get under the table).

I look at the sales trip lists. I want a trip. But I like my bonus check from Blue, too :)

working in the call center I LOVED the lists! It kept me motivated, I wanted to be number one, gave me something to strive for.

Bevo, I loved reading about Pareto's principle and totally agree when you said; "it especially motivates your upper 1/3rd (often Pareto's principle applies where 20% or slightly more of your team does 80% of your sales) and for that reason alone it's worth it. No one at the top wants to get beaten"

The other 80% probably hate the leaderboards. I'm sure they see it as unachievable.

Guess you have to decide who you would rather make happier; the top sellers (and any good salespeople I know were very competitive with each other), or the others.

working in the call center I LOVED the lists! It kept me motivated, I wanted to be number one, gave me something to strive for.

Bevo, I loved reading about Pareto's principle and totally agree when you said; "it especially motivates your upper 1/3rd (often Pareto's principle applies where 20% or slightly more of your team does 80% of your sales) and for that reason alone it's worth it. No one at the top wants to get beaten"

The other 80% probably hate the leaderboards. I'm sure they see it as unachievable.

Guess you have to decide who you would rather make happier; the top sellers (and any good salespeople I know were very competitive with each other), or the others.
Some may but I have never felt that way even when I wasn't on or near the top of the board. I always enjoyed seeing what others were doing and it let me know what could be achieved if one would just put forth the effort.

Last edited:
Some my but I have never felt that way even when I wasn't on or near the top of the board. I always enjoyed seeing what others were doing and it let me know what could be achieved if one would just put forth the effort.

I must say that I am surprised by the replies on this thread! I suppose that I was just an "oddball" and never really liked the added attention that it gave me when I was a top producer in my office!! I had an "All About Eve" complex, always thinking that other reps were out to steal my business and invade my chosen territory to work in. The company that I worked for had so many reps that we were constantly calling the same prospects and many marketed in my zip codes even though they weren't supposed to. I only tolerated the Top Producer designation because it came with a $50 Visa Giftcard every month. As an agent , I became comfortable with my Book of Business and only wanted to maintain, so Top Producer list never interested me. It kind of actually makes me feel like we are horses on a race track-lol. To each his own, I guess.

I must say that I am surprised by the replies on this thread! I suppose that I was just an "oddball" and never really liked the added attention that it gave me when I was a top producer in my office!! I had an "All About Eve" complex, always thinking that other reps were out to steal my business and invade my chosen territory to work in. The company that I worked for had so many reps that we were constantly calling the same prospects and many marketed in my zip codes even though they weren't supposed to. I only tolerated the Top Producer designation because it came with a $50 Visa Giftcard every month. As an agent , I became comfortable with my Book of Business and only wanted to maintain, so Top Producer list never interested me. It kind of actually makes me feel like we are horses on a race track-lol. To each his own, I guess.
I get that. When I worked in a captive life insurance setting, I was the #1 staff manager for my region one particular year. There was an intense amount of pressure to maintain that position! All of a sudden, all the executives in the company knew who I was! While I enjoyed that in many ways, when I fell to number 2 the next year there was so much less stress I never wanted to be #1 again!

when I worked for an agency in an office it worked 100% you never want to not be at least near the top, and the bottom 1/3 always worried about there job.

However, when I first went independent 1 FMO tried to do something like that online, I went with it one AEP and did well but I didn't care for it the same way, I just wasn't interested in wasting time putting in the deals or looking at it, When not in an office environment

Back