What did yall do before Part D?

jack3454

Super Genius
I just learned Part D wasn’t a thing until 2006…so what did yall do before that? Was there another system in place or was everyone going without prescriptions unless they could afford it?

It was a big problem for many people. I remember a lot of complaining. Some Med Sups had an RX benefit but it was really limited and had a low amount of coverage.

Most people were self-pay unless they had a Plan J Medicare Supplement. And even that was limited. But here's something for consideration. Prescription prices were less back then. Any time free/easy money hits an industry, prices go up. College is a prime example of this. Student loans became super easy to get, then all of a sudden the cost of college increased. Same goes for prescription costs now that our tax dollars are helping pay for them. Of course, not all medications have increased in price.

I recall looking at some results of prescription cost summaries I ran a few years apart. One medication I remember seeing increase was Celebrex before there was a generic. If memory serves me correctly, it was in the $80-$90 range full retail price. A few years later, it had a retail price of around $200.

Part D did nothing but raises prescription costs. I would say less than 10% have benefited if you compared out of pocket drug cost from then till now.
Case in point. My Dad was on Thalidomide for multiple myeloma. Paid $500 month for 5 years drug never rose in price.
First year Part D came out price rose to $2000 month. By the 3rd year of Part D exact same drug had risen to over $10,000 month. His out of pocket with Part D was within $2000 a year of when he paid 100% out of pocket.
Insulin was probably $35 then .
Drug assistance plans for everyone on Medicare. Most drug companies initially cut assistance plans for all people on Part D.
Many people bought drugs from Canada. Typically 3mo for what we paid for 1mo here on name brands. ( this is still a pretty good rule of thumb)
Remember 10 yrs back when Goverment was giving taxes credits for heat pumps?
I had put 1 in just before credit went into effect . Then I decided since there was a $5,000 dollar credit I would replace another unit. Guess what ? Same unit installed from same company had gone up..............
Almost $5,000 . Same thing has happened with drugs.

Back