What is a fair commission split for a 1099 agent?

I'm a new insurance agent with a tremendous sales and management background (in other industries). The skills I have are transferrable to the insurance industry.

What is a fair commission split with a boutique commercial insurance firm for a 1099 agent?
Straight commission, no benefits or expenses. I am working out of my home office. They are not providing leads at this time either.

How much of my book of business should I own vs the agency own?

How much should I have to pay to take my book of business should I decide to leave for any reason?

Anything you have learned along the way that should be included in my independent contractor agreement?

Are you using their appointments to write business? If you are doing all of your own expenses and just using them for your carrier appointments 50/50 on new business and 80/20 on renewals

Are you using their appointments to write business? If you are doing all of your own expenses and just using them for your carrier appointments 50/50 on new business and 80/20 on renewals

Yes, I pay all my own expenses including healthcare, etc. I am using their appointments to write business.

What is you opinion on what % of my book I should own? What is fair if I decide to buyout my book an start my own agency?

Thanks for your time & input!

Back