What is a good client tracking/organizer software? Filemaker Pro?

Hope you have everything backed up so WHEN your computer crashes you won't lose it all.

AMEN, brother!

I knew better, but pushed my luck until I reaped the reward of my procrastination. I now have 3 separate backup programs using multiple backup strategies... a little overkill, maybe, but I sleep better.... sometimes!

(and I use YIO!)

I have a program that backs up to separate USB hard drives. The whole drive is backed up and then incremented.

I don't have much faith in products that are Internet based and brag that you can't lose your info because they have it.

Been there, done that.

Too many times I've been without Internet for one reason or another. Too many times I've seen companies go under, get bought out, whatever. I also have a fear that if things got really bad for any reason, the Internet would go down for extended periods. In any kind of serious national emergency, that is exactly what will happen.

I have a program that backs up to separate USB hard drives. The whole drive is backed up and then incremented.

I don't have much faith in products that are Internet based and brag that you can't lose your info because they have it.

Been there, done that.

Too many times I've been without Internet for one reason or another. Too many times I've seen companies go under, get bought out, whatever. I also have a fear that if things got really bad for any reason, the Internet would go down for extended periods. In any kind of serious national emergency, that is exactly what will happen.

You bring up a good point. I won't utilize internet storage because of this very thing. I back up on my own LAN, not the internet. I keep everything in house. I considered off-site storage, but rejected it. If my house burns down, (almost did once) I will have more fish to fry (no pun intended) than to worry about my computer. Perhaps that's a little short-sighted, but at my age this would be the coup de grace. I would throw in the towel. This scenario is less likely than the failure of some other company out there on the net, but it COULD happen, God forbid. It is, after all, ALL in His hands. I can't protect from EVERY unforseen disaster... this brings on paranoia.

Computer crashes are almost a daily thing, and other companies failing come in second. It is prudent to have a back-up plan.

Last edited:
You bring up a good point. I won't utilize internet storage because of this very thing. I back up on my own LAN, not the internet. I keep everything in house. I considered off-site storage, but rejected it. If my house burns down, (almost did once) I will have more fish to fry (no pun intended) than to worry about my computer. Perhaps that's a little short-sighted, but at my age this would be the coup de grace. I would throw in the towel. This scenario is less likely than the failure of some other company out there on the net, but it COULD happen, God forbid. It is, after all, ALL in His hands. I can't protect from EVERY unforseen disaster... this brings on paranoia.

Computer crashes are almost a daily thing, and other companies failing come in second. It is prudent to have a back-up plan.

I couldn't agree more. I am very anal about my data. I have been selling insurance for 15 years, if I were to lose my data I would probably go to Wal-mart and apply as a greeter. There is no way in hell that I would start all over again.

Several years ago I bought a fire-proof media same. It is about the size of a briefcase only twice as thick. It weighs around 35 pounds and is guaranteed to even protect 3 1/2 floppies in the event of a fire. I keep it in one of my fire-proof gun safes. (I said I was anal about my data.)

I back my data up to a CD at least once a week and also every day that I do a lot of data entry. It takes about two minutes to burn a CD and CD's are incredibly cheap. I keep the last three CD's in the safe.

I am always in control of my data and never have to worry about someone having a system failure or not being able to get to it when I need it.

I use Outlook with BCM (Business Contact Manager). Like all the others, it has it's good points and bad points. It is just what I settled on for my own purposes after not finding something perfect.

However, I did just send off a long-term care application. I did not make a copy first. Instead, I scanned it with a Fujitsu ScanSnap which can scan 50 pages, even 2 sides, even detect color automatically. I then linked the searchable PDF file created with the scanner with the client's Outlook file where I can find it in 3 days when the company has questions or in a year -whatever. The client has a "history" page where all phone contacts, Word documents, PDF files, emails, and so on, are listed in chronological order. Other programs do this, but not as easily, IMHO.

Can you bypass Outlook and use just Business Contact Manager? Or are there some features that you must have that only Outlook provides.?

Back