What Makes a Successful P&C Agent

Colby,

Look up some threads from Ins1822 about lead providers or Centers of Influence. Others have talked about it too. It is sound advice and seems to be the differentiating factor between the 500k WP agencies and the 3M WP agencies.

Successful as in income/revenue? I'd say:

1. Ability to bring in prospects and quotes
2. Product knowledge
3. Customer service

I know agents who can recite the policies front to back but if you can't sell or bring in prospects it doesn't really matter. Obviously, number 1 on my list is the hardest to accomplish but I use COIs, internal referral programs, and mailers in my agency.

To Captive Guy's Point on His #1 Bullet point, I'll say, and have the ability to close prospects and quotes. (Close ratio)

Captive Close ratio is much different than an Indy's close ratio

Thanks guys. Me being so young and just starting out I'm looking for some tips from the pros so it's highly appreciated!

Colby How young are you? Where are you? How are you starting? What end of the Ins Spectrum? Tell us about yourself. Tell us about what you think you want to do and your plan to do it?

Well Mr Walker, in a 20 year old male captive property and casualty agent for Allstate insurance in the Cleveland Ohio area. I recently switched from a life insurance company. So I am licensed for life, health, property, and casualty. I am not an agency owner yet but it is planned. As well as other business's as well. My goals to help me get there are simple. To learn as much about the business I can to have some knowledge to do it on my own. This is a very basic introduction though. What about yourself?

Well Mr Walker, in a 20 year old male captive property and casualty agent for Allstate insurance in the Cleveland Ohio area. I recently switched from a life insurance company. So I am licensed for life, health, property, and casualty. I am not an agency owner yet but it is planned. As well as other business's as well. My goals to help me get there are simple. To learn as much about the business I can to have some knowledge to do it on my own. This is a very basic introduction though. What about yourself?

It should only take about 1.5-2 years to fully learn how to manage an agency (selling, servicing, administrative etc) then link up w/ a group like SIAA and go Indy. Do not EVER become a captive agency owner. Allstate is the most egregious, despicable, rotten, unethical, anti-agent back stabbing company that exists so look forward to leaving them. Despite what any older bum agents tell you it's 99% about SELLING. Selling is the result of effectively getting PROSPECTS. If any agent says service is the #1 priority that means they're an old bum agent who can no longer write new business. Start now at a young age when you don't have much financial obligations & build referral relationships. Look through my previous posts & you'll see how. Again despite what anybody tells you...treat your prospects like numbers & slam as many on the books as possible.

Start understanding the concept of renewal income. Every time you sell a policy your Allstate agency owner is getting paid 10% of that policy for as long as it stays on the books + an annual bonus based off the size of his book. Renewal income in this business is insane & it's something to be closely guarded & kept secret as well.

Save up some money so your not held back from going indy due to lack of funds. There's sick money to be made as an agency owner & if you can start at age 22-23 by the time you're 30 you'll be making way more money then you should for your age (like me.) Then you can laugh at all your other professional friends while you triple their incomes. Here's your list of priorities whilst at Allsnake...

1.) Start developing referral relationships now
2.) Sell
3.) Sell
4.) Work the leads the Allstate agent will throw at you so you realize how much that way of generating business SUCKS
5.) Learn how to talk down a stupid piece of $hit policyholder who's called in to complain.

Good luck & never forget...Allstate is a horrible rotten company.:goofy:

Thanks! Man I love this site. Thank you for the advice. Thank you for the heads up as well. That is all the goals. Start young work hard now so I can take a break when I'm older! I'm definitely going to be reading your forums/ post's as well I look forward to learning more from you!

Shawn is right about referrals. You definitely want to get new business that way as opposed to the alternatives. I'm a little over a year and a half in, but mine is finally gaining traction, and let me just say it's WORTH IT, even if it costs you more than it makes you in the beginning.

Back