What should I look out for when searching for my first gig?

Downset

Hi all,

I'm new here, but have been scouring the forums for quite a while now. I've been in both sales and customer service in one form or another for nearly all of my working life.

I have recently left my sales position in the alcoholic beverage industry(Covid). It was 100% commission, but I did very well. Since then, I have been tirelessly searching for another field I would enjoy. I have a family, and I want a career and company that I can build into my own.

The information on this forum is both incredible and overwhelming to a degree. But I certainly appreciate everyone that takes their time to help one another, and us new guys/gals.

From what I understand, and pretty much assumed. It would be best to jump on with an establish company first, to learn the ropes and have a "mentor." So while I'm am eager to jump out on my own. I completely understand why this is necessary. There is far too much that I don't know, to attempt to open up shop willy nilly.

But as I am searching for jobs. I feel some are clearly "too good to be true" offers, or are very miss-leading. I'd prefer no D2D. But these "No cold call, warm leads only - $60-$100k first year" seem shady to me.

TL,DR:(too long, didn't read) :unsure:
So I would love to hear any input: When searching for a job to get into the field, with hopes of eventually going independent. What sort of things should one be looking out for, and looking for?

Sorry for the lengthy post, and I don't doubt this is already addressed somewhere in this vast amount of information.

Welcome.

Where are you located, and do you have any idea what kind of insurance you would want to sell?

Thank you!

I'm in Denver, Colorado.

I'm was thinking that if I could find something with a local independent, that I might be able to get my feet wet in multiple platforms. But ultimately, I'm still researching and probing I guess, to find what may best suit me for my own start up out of the gates.

Ideally I would like to begin with something that will be easiest to get moving (P&C perhaps?). Even if the commissions are less lucrative at first. I should be able to take on other types as things progress, right?

Many of the job listing in the surroundings areas are selling life insurance. I'm not opposed to that by any means. But it seems like this would be far more difficult to sale, and that it isn't something many people come looking for(slower to get moving?).

These are just my thoughts as of right now, perhaps I'm mistaken. But I am willing to take on any form. Just curious how you guys started, what type of insurance, what questions I should be asking, and anything in particular that I should be looking for.

Two other important questions. In the event that a job I end up taking on doesn't provide hourly or salary. How poor should I expect to be for the first six months on straight commissions, or should I that entirely? Also, is it possible to sell independently, while working elsewhere to learn the ropes? I feel like this would be a big conflict of interest, and likely not worth the effort.

Thanks again!

Many of the job listing in the surroundings areas are selling life insurance. I'm not opposed to that by any means. But it seems like this would be far more difficult to sale, and that it isn't something many people come looking for(slower to get moving?).

To sell life insurance, you are selling a solution to a problem that the life insurance can solve. But in order to get to that point, the client must understand and psychologically own the problem. Once the problem is clear... the solution is easy.

Selling Is Not About Relationships

However, getting YOU to that point... can take a lot longer so you can be an effective advocate for your clientele.

These are just my thoughts as of right now, perhaps I'm mistaken. But I am willing to take on any form. Just curious how you guys started, what type of insurance, what questions I should be asking, and anything in particular that I should be looking for.

And if you go into this industry with this mentality... you will fail. Why? Just because someone has a pulse, does not mean that they can be your client, nor could you be a 'hero' to them, nor would you be able to ask confidently for professional introductions.

Find a firm with a focus. Hell, as much as I would 'bash' Primerica... they have a mantra and a focus. Makes it easier for them to stay with that company because they all say the same things.

Two other important questions. In the event that a job I end up taking on doesn't provide hourly or salary. How poor should I expect to be for the first six months on straight commissions, or should I that entirely? Also, is it possible to sell independently, while working elsewhere to learn the ropes? I feel like this would be a big conflict of interest, and likely not worth the effort.

If you want an hourly wage, stick to customer service or work for a P&C agent. Everything else pays you according to the results you generate for the product sales you do.

Too many variables to tell you how poor/broke you could be for your first 6 months or so.

If you find a firm that has a great focus, you can stack the deck far better in your favor. A firm that knows what they stand for, who they do their best work with, WHY they work with these people, what problems they help them solve, and do it in a massively profitable way for you AND the client... that's what you want.

Of course, that might be trying to find the proverbial unicorn, but it can be done.

True... but it's not for a lack of purpose or mission.

Thank you for the thought out reply DKH. I have actually been browsing through your videos posted in other threads that I have come across as well. They're quite informative.

I suppose "take on any form" was poorly worded. What I meant, was that I'm willing to learn and take on training in whichever form of insurance would best fit my needs and ultimately make a smoother transition to going Independent the the road.

A debatable pyramid scheme is definitely not the avenue I will be in search for however. :no:

Thanks again!

Reactions: DHK
One note here for you "Downset" is that the world of insurance is so different within the categories. DHK is a Life Guy, Markthebroker is a Bus P&C, and I am a Pers P&C guy. And we will all of us have differing opinions based on what direction you want to take this.

But yes, claims of making $100K in a sales role are often over exaggerated, be very careful.

P&C is more about very very slowly building a book of business as your yearly renewals gain steam and assist in paying for marketing, new tools, etc. If you want to learn the P&C ropes you are going to have to suck it up and go work for a Captive Agency for a year at a pretty low pay. Study the process, notate the faults, and then you can move on.

You are not likely going to find an independent agency that is going to be willing to teach you the ropes, at least in my opinion.

Watch the contracts that you sign along the way.

Thank You

Back