What to Do Waiting for My License ?

tnks2hp

Expert
I am in a dilemma that I'm hoping someone here has some experience and advice for me.
My license is being reviewed right now by DOI. I had a misdemeanor a long time ago and I know that it takes about 45 days for them to give me an answer. I'm confident I will be able to eventually get the license once I go through all the procedures. It's been 10 days so far.

In the meantime, I've been working with an insurance company and they have been training me although I can't do anything other than cold calling and have an agent go to the appointment. I'm having a hard time making cold calls since I'm disappointed about my license and knowing that I won't make the comission until I get my license.

I have some modules from the company that I'm supposed to complete prior to becoming an agent also.

I guess I'm not certain if I should focus on learning the products and taking the modules, or cold call. If you are thinking to do both, I tried it and didn't do either one well. I don't seem to have the confidence to sell with the amount of product knowledge that I have.

What should I focus on now?

Your best bet is to read and study this forum as much as you can along with the other things you're doing to improve your skills.

Don't worry about selling anything util you have the license. Especialy be careful what you say when cold calling. As for the confidense that will come with time. Something to consider is when you speak with most people they know less about insurance and financial service than you do so you can always just say "that's a great questions, let me do some research and get back to you".

Myself I would work on the moduels rather than concentrating on the cold calling unless you are being supervised because all it takes is for you to say the wrong thing and another issue can come up. Always think CYA because no matter what anyone says the bottom line will stop with you.

I would develop a routine at this stage.

Splitting it into 3 categories.
Education, Prospecting and Servicing
Time block each day to work on these 3 items and find a routine that works for you.

Build good work habits now.

So your setting appointments for someone else to get paid? That will burn you out quick. Spend your time on this forum and read a book on selling. You will have plenty of time to make dials once licensed, and it will be rewarding.

It will be rewarding? Oh I sure hope so because I don't feel rewarded so far! And you are so right about getting burnt out.

I started selling VB with no experience 6 months ago. I was lacking 100% confidence. So my first few employer interviews I said "I'm new at this so please forgive me if I stutter or lose my way." And I closed those accounts. Everybody was new at what they do at one point, so they understand most of the time.

"I'm new at this so please forgive me if I stutter or lose my way." And I closed those accounts. Everybody was new at what they do at one point, so they understand most of the time.

Good point, play the"new" card while you've got it. I used it for a year, it works

Back