What Would You Say on a Med Supp Lead?

elder

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'm in my 13th year of selling supps. I've done all of the marketing types. Direct mail companies are using the same leads they did 13 years ago;

"AARP and other companies have raised their premiums over 30% . . . blah, blah, blah".

I've purchased the software, permits, lists. I have the equipment.

I know what I want to say, however, I was interested in what the rest of you guys would try or want to put in a lead. Out of the box?

I read in another post "I'll bet you $5 bucks I can beat your Medicare Supplement Premium". Curious if this would work. Might have to try this one just to see.

So lets hear it fellow agents, what would you put in a direct mail lead for supps?

giant_bugs.jpg

"Hi, Medicare sent me and I'm here to help."

Strangely they all run away when I say that.

I know that some forum members can be somewhat critical of spelling/grammer, or post a lot of smarta$$ answers, although funny, not helpful. No offense to the posters above! I enjoy a good laugh as much as anyone, but I wont eat a bug that looks like that for anyone.

I also don't think this thread should end up being a new thread on the advantages of cold calling from a list, (with all respect to Frank and his goats). I've been calling lists for 13 years. I am burned out on the phone for awhile. I would like to try this, if for any reason, to prove to myself that the old, overused leads are almost worthless.

Last edited:
I know that some forum members can be somewhat critical of spelling/grammer, or post a lot of smarta$$ answers, although funny, not helpful. No offense to the posters above! I enjoy a good laugh as much as anyone, but I wont eat a bug that looks like that for anyone.

I also don't think this thread should end up being a new thread on the advantages of cold calling from a list, (with all respect to Frank and his goats). I've been calling lists for 13 years. I am burned out on the phone for awhile. I would like to try this, if for any reason, to prove to myself that the old, overused leads are almost worthless.

My goats appreciate that. haha

I wish you luck, I've been looking for the same thing for almost eighteen years. Still looking. I don't think the problem is with the wording, I believe that instead it is with the fact that seniors are "professional card filler-outers" and most have no recollection of having done so.

You may be able to come up with wording that will generate a higher percent of response, however, I don't think it will necessarily result in a higher percent of sales.

But, if you do find one I have no doubt that you could sell them and make a ton of money and not have to worry about selling insurance any more.

I would probably be your first customer. I have dusted my office in the morning trying to justify not picking up that damn phone.

I read in another post "I'll bet you $5 bucks I can beat your Medicare Supplement Premium". Curious if this would work. Might have to try this one just to see.

I've always wondered if that was legal and would work! Keep us posted if you try it

My goats appreciate that. haha

I wish you luck, I've been looking for the same thing for almost eighteen years. Still looking. I don't think the problem is with the wording, I believe that instead it is with the fact that seniors are "professional card filler-outers" and most have no recollection of having done so.

You may be able to come up with wording that will generate a higher percent of response, however, I don't think it will necessarily result in a higher percent of sales.

But, if you do find one I have no doubt that you could sell them and make a ton of money and not have to worry about selling insurance any more.

I would probably be your first customer. I have dusted my office in the morning trying to justify not picking up that damn phone.

Frank, i agree that a lot of responses are just "pro's", but I am trying to eliminate them. I want the few that actually want to get a quote, the ones that want to save money. If I mail out 400 a week and get back 1%, well thats 4 sales a week (not including doubles & referrals), x 45 or so weeks a year, 200+ sales a year. I can live good @ that.

I am going to include toll free number on a mailing to see if anyone would actually call. Who knows?

Last edited:
I've had success with mailing that start out:

"Recently many companies providing Medicare Supplements have decreased their rates. If you have not received your rate reduction, send in the postage paid card."

Have they reduced their rate? Maybe, but since there are "new" plans like N, you can always find a lower rate. That would be a rate reduction.

Rick

Back