Whatever Happened to . . .

Bob,

Thank you for the post. Your posts are extremely informative. Thanks for making me aware of this "health blog". It looks like the buy on demand is really a disguised high deductible plan, but with limitations and qualifications for eventual comprehenive coverage.

I don't know about the health premiums in Texas but an "On-Demand" plan for a 25 year old that's under $100 a month but the stop loss is at $10,000.00

In California, I can get a healthy 25 year old man $1,750 Ded & OOP with all the usual first dollar coverages for under $100 a month. (PPO)

I'd like to see an example of a mid-40's family with this plan.

btw - the plan I'm referring to is Nationwide Health Plans now underwritten by Health Net on 10/01/07

Last edited:
I.

btw - the plan I'm referring to is Nationwide Health Plans now underwritten by Health Net on 10/01/07

Actually I use to call it the Nationwide Health Plan too. But to my ingnorance it has never been really the Nationwide Health Plan they were the underwriter for the California Farm Bureau Health Plans. So I would say they are the California Farm Bureau plan now underwritten by Health Net.

I know it is easier to say Nationwide Health Plans or Health Net people have heard of those companies the California Farm Bureau plan does not sound so appealing.

By the way I have the PPO Saver 1750 HSA myself 32 year old in L.a. county for 102.

By the way I have the PPO Saver 1750 HSA myself 32 year old in L.a. county for 102.

When Nationwide offers their health insurance products they created the premiums actuarially so it was a wash. They really focus on P&C and wanted their agents have access to an in-house product.

I usually pull out NW when I see someone is really on a budget - the CCN network is decent I guess.

This is a layered risk plan built around a $15,000 deductible. Scott (STI) first posted about this a few weeks ago. I peruse the WSJ Health blog every week or so and ran across this. Figured it was time to bring it back up again.

Interesting concept. Seems they mix mini-meds with self insurance. Once you run out of benefit on the mini-med they will loan you the money (assuming you don't have the cash and are credit-worthy) to pay the providers, thus preserving the discount.

You advance through the levels (sounds like a Scientology kind of program) until you hit the $15k SIR.

With plans like Tonik, Belay and a few others that are geared toward the young crowd, I fail to see how this will get much play.

The online video is interesting.

BTW, is the PPO Saver a GR/UHC product? If so , you might want to reconsider and belly up to the bar for a real HSA plan. No sense in having a half-baked plan when for a few $$$ more you can get the real thing.

BTW, is the PPO Saver a GR/UHC product? If so , you might want to reconsider and belly up to the bar for a real HSA plan. No sense in having a half-baked plan when for a few $$$ more you can get the real thing.

No it is not a GR product. The plan is one of the best in california. It is 100 percent co insurance HSA plan in california with a 1750 deductible. I get up to 250 dollars first dollar preventative benefit. All prescription drugs paid for after you reach deductible with no caps and a lifetime maximum of 5 million dollars.

Nationwide plan I'm speaking of isn't even an HSA. It's a PPO. co-pay Rx, emergency, preventative, immunizations all before deduct. I can honestly say the plan is going to be the best deal anyone's going to get if they can handle the ccn network. This plan is costs less than about 90% of all the HSA's available. It only starts to get more expensive than other plans once your over 55.

Back