• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

When does the irmaa change?

keith365

Super Genius
I have a client who is being charged the irmaa for Medicare part B. He asked me when it will change, since his income from 2021 should put him into the lowest premium bracket for 2023. Does the irrma for part B change on the first day of the month that is 2 years prior to to their part B effective date? Or does is change for everyone based on a calendar year? He's looking for a specific date, and I've never heard of one. I've only heard that the premium for part B is based on the modified adjusted gross income from 2 years ago. Any help on narrowing that down to a specific date would really be appreciated!

January 1st of each year for everyone, unless you are eligible for an earlier irmaa waiver.

So starting this jan 1st 2023, they will look at 2021 taxes.

Look up irmaa waiver form if needed

I have a client who is being charged the irmaa for Medicare part B. He asked me when it will change, since his income from 2021 should put him into the lowest premium bracket for 2023. Does the irrma for part B change on the first day of the month that is 2 years prior to to their part B effective date? Or does is change for everyone based on a calendar year? He's looking for a specific date, and I've never heard of one. I've only heard that the premium for part B is based on the modified adjusted gross income from 2 years ago. Any help on narrowing that down to a specific date would really be appreciated!

If his income was higher in 2020 than in 2021, did he have a "life-changing event?"

If yes, then he should file (SSA-44) for the change in premium immediately.

Back