When is actual cash value calculated

mrJones

I'm hoping to get some info on what (I imagine) is a fairly uncommon scenario. I have a 2015 Ford F-150 which was involved in a hit and run (other driver ran) in 2017. I filed a claim the day after the accident and my carrier completed an estimate; however, because this was a hit and run and the other vehicle (I was able to collect the license plate number) was uninsured, the claim was against my collision coverage and I was not in a financial position to cover the deductible. As life continued on, new reasons to procrastinate on repairs continued to present themselves: couldn't be without the vehicle, was away from home for work, time constraints, etc etc. Fast forward to today, I am going to look into having the necessary repairs completed. However, a mechanic friend of mine took a passing glance at the truck and told me that based on the impact point, there is a good chance that there is frame damage.

My question is this: if I take this in for repair and the cost is greater than the estimate, enough so that the insurance carrier deems it a total loss, on what date is actual cash value calculated? What I mean is, should I expect them to calculate ACV based on today's value, or would it be based on the value of the vehicle on the date of the accident?

I know I may be putting the buggy in front of the horse here, but I also know that if the above scenario plays out, things can move pretty quickly and I don't want to find myself scrambling for answers.

Thanks for reading. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Most likely your claims person will default to the original estimate and force you to prove that the additional damage was part of the original hit since you have waited 2 years to address the issue. That said, if it is now a total loss I can also see the ACV set at today's value because the vehicle is 2 years older

I agree that ACV is likely to be at today's value because you've had use of the vehicle for the last two years while it has continued to depreciate.

I suggest you take your vehicle to a repair shop and have the frame inspected. If there is frame damage call your claims department and see about getting an adjustment.

Back