Where to Find GROUP Leads for Health Insurance? (Aflac)

I used scagnt83's script today and I had WAY higher success getting past the gatekeepers. I actually made an appointment with a 20 person group with only an hour of work, and got a bunch more follow-ups for tomorrow.

I decided to omit one line though; "they are great to fill in for benefits that might not be offered now." It looked good on paper but just sounded too telemarkety when I said it out loud. Tell me what you guys think of my final script:

Script: Gatekeeper:

(If 9am - 5pm)
Me: Hi, This is Mike Furlender, is Bob (shortened first name if possible) in right now?
OR
(if after 5pm)
Me: Hi, this is Mike Furlender, is Bob still in the office or did he go home for the day?
Gatekeeper: Mike from where?
Me: "Mike from Aflac" OR "Mike from Priceless" (my 1-person agency)
Gatekeeper: What is this in reference to?
Me: I spoke with him earlier but he asked me to call back when it is less hectic. I would just like to introduce myself to him.
Gatekeeper: [continues to ask what the call is in reference to]
Me: It's in reference to the businesses' benefits.

If I reached the voicemail:

Me: Hi, this is a message for Bob. This is Mike Furlender, when you have a spare minute please give me a call back at [my phone number]. Thanks a lot!

When speaking to the owner:

Me: Hi. This is Mike Furlender. I specialize in voluntary employee benefits that are free to the employer; it doesn't cost you a cent. In fact I usually end up saving the business owner some money on social security tax. Would it be alright if I I swing by and have a quick chat with you when you're not to busy? Maybe next week or the week after?

In regards to Aflac having been down the road with them and was successful in spite of them. There are much better opportunities out there for you. Group Benefits make up 75% of my business and I use Colonial. In my opinion AFLAC has some very serious flaws in regards to recruiting, training, commissions and their approach to the market. You might consider dropping the name of Aflac (I found that closed more doors than it ever opened) and position yourself as your own company/broker specializing in voluntary products. Give it some thought.

It seems like the good advice has started to come in. No matter what company or business model, I believe that there is still something to be said about just putting your nose to the grind stone and working hard. Cold calling is a skill and like any other skill it will get better with practice. I think you have gotten some good advice on getting around gate keepers, but I do feel that I can help with the prospecting portion of your question.

There are tons of lists that you can buy … great, right?…. all ready for you to go call, but have you considered this:
- How many other people in your situation are getting the exact same leads?
- How often do they update their information? Once a year, once a quarter? Information decays 3% per company per month. Are you finding your leads to be quality?

Now, I am going to assume that you have internet access and have an opportunity to troll the web for contact information. One method that I have used is Manta to find company size and locations (sometimes even contact name) and build my own list of companies to call. I do cross reference the company website to see what other contacts I can come up with and nuggets of information I can refer to in order to get through the gatekeeper. I have found that you just never know who might have high deductibles or co pays … so just ask. The web is a dynamic source of information and it is free! Use it to your advantage.

Back