White House to name first 10 drugs for Medicare negotiations early

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
[EXTERNAL LINK] - White House to name first 10 drugs for Medicare negotiations early

Biden health officials are expected to reveal the initial list before the stock market opens Tuesday morning, because the impact on publicly traded companies that make any drugs on the list could affect their stock prices during trading. The White House is then set to tout the program on Tuesday afternoon.

Health officials have closely guarded the specific medicines that they plan to target for negotiation, though only a limited group of drugs appear to qualify under the program’s criteria.

“These drugs include blood thinners, diabetes medicines and cancer drugs,” Bailey Reavis, manager of federal relations at health advocacy group Families USA, said of the drugs that fit the parameters, which include pricey, widely used medicines without generic competitors. “We know that they’ll be drugs that cost Medicare billions of dollars annually.”

The lengthy timeline could also be complicated by no fewer than seven lawsuits filed in federal courts across the nation by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and major drug companies, which contend that the negotiation program is unconstitutional.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - White House to name first 10 drugs for Medicare negotiations early

Biden health officials are expected to reveal the initial list before the stock market opens Tuesday morning, because the impact on publicly traded companies that make any drugs on the list could affect their stock prices during trading. The White House is then set to tout the program on Tuesday afternoon.

Health officials have closely guarded the specific medicines that they plan to target for negotiation, though only a limited group of drugs appear to qualify under the program’s criteria.

“These drugs include blood thinners, diabetes medicines and cancer drugs,” Bailey Reavis, manager of federal relations at health advocacy group Families USA, said of the drugs that fit the parameters, which include pricey, widely used medicines without generic competitors. “We know that they’ll be drugs that cost Medicare billions of dollars annually.”

The lengthy timeline could also be complicated by no fewer than seven lawsuits filed in federal courts across the nation by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and major drug companies, which contend that the negotiation program is unconstitutional.

As someone who wasn't born in this country can someone please explain to me what is unconstitutional about negotiating drug prices.. seems absolutely ridiculous

As someone who wasn't born in this country can someone please explain to me what is unconstitutional about negotiating drug prices.. seems absolutely ridiculous

With that question, I assume your country has never benefited from ANY American innovation in the drug market or any other industry?

If you have, that's a result of America's free market capitalism, and you're welcome.

If it didn't exist, nobody and no company would have an incentive or take the risk to be innovative if they knew the govt could come in a control pricing, take away profit. Thank God for the Elon's of the world.

If it's a dispute over water, food, or guns.......life or death matters. Then the govt should step in. But, You have to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise, I'd like Biden to make tesla prices be under $1000 with 10 year financing....to save the planet.

I'd also like iPhone pricing for under $10.

Hope your country doesn't have any of those expensive phones either. That would be an anti capitalism sin, contributing to those nasty profiteers

With that question, I assume your country has never benefited from ANY American innovation in the drug market or any other industry?

If you have, that's a result of America's free market capitalism, and you're welcome.

If it didn't exist, nobody and no company would have an incentive or take the risk to be innovative if they knew the govt could come in a control pricing, take away profit. Thank God for the Elon's of the world.

If it's a dispute over water, food, or guns.......life or death matters. Then the govt should step in. But, You have to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise, I'd like Biden to make tesla prices be under $1000 with 10 year financing....to save the planet.

So my question was why is it “unconstitutional”?

Forget R&D. That’s a convenient excuse drug companies make to rip off Americans (and Americans only)

Back