Who Can Cancel Medicare Supplement Coverage at M.O.O?

VaDwayne

Guru
1000 Post Club
I had a beneficiary pass away and her husband called me to the see how to go about canceling her coverage. I told him that he had enough on his plate and that I would run over to his house and help him with it.

When we called M.O.O we found out that the policy had already been canceled by someone else, and the husband was dumbfounded as to why that person could do it. I then remembered that when I orginally met with them 7 years ago that the deceased (wife) didn't qualify so I only write the husband's coverage, which I've replaced several times to save him money. So the cancelation was legit, but it brought to light something that I didn't know.

We were told, "that practically ANYBODY can call and cancel coverage."

When I got back to my office I called again and spoke to someone else just to make sure that I heard correctly. I asked, "who can cancel coverage for a deceased beneficiary?"

I was told, "frankly, anyone can."

Is this true for all med supp carriers?

so who did cancel the policy? Did they tell you? I would think it would have to be in writing, or just stop thee bank draft..

With MoO it doesn't have to be in writing but I think one time I replaced my own MoO client without her on the phone. I was the AOR so I just assumed that's why they let me

so who did cancel the policy? Did they tell you? I would think it would have to be in writing, or just stop thee bank draft..

It was her agent, which is kosher, but the ladies that I spoke to on the phone at M.O.O told me that practically anybody could call. I only write the husband's coverage because the wife was in bad shape and doesn't qualify physically to switch to a different carrier. I was not the AOR on her policy, but I could have called and canceled it, according to M.O.O guidelines. I got this info from 2 different people at M.O.O.

I had a beneficiary pass away and her husband called me to the see how to go about canceling her coverage. I told him that he had enough on his plate and that I would run over to his house and help him with it. When we called M.O.O we found out that the policy had already been canceled by someone else, and the husband was dumbfounded as to why that person could do it. I then remembered that when I orginally met with them 7 years ago that the deceased (wife) didn't qualify so I only write the husband's coverage, which I've replaced several times to save him money. So the cancelation was legit, but it brought to light something that I didn't know. We were told, "that practically ANYBODY can call and cancel coverage." When I got back to my office I called again and spoke to someone else just to make sure that I heard correctly. I asked, "who can cancel coverage for a deceased beneficiary?" I was told, "frankly, anyone can." Is this true for all med supp carriers?

This is surprising to hear. I would think they would want something in writing ...

I am only guessing but I would think if I called and said Mrs. Smith passed away they would say ok thanks then proceed to verify that it was true before actually cancelling, maybe with some sort of Medicare data base or with what ever state agency would handle death certificates. I would hope it works that way. I have a client whose daughter is POA who cancelled her med sup and pocketed the $180 a month. No one knew until the medical bills started rolling in.

It was her agent, which is kosher, but the ladies that I spoke to on the phone at M.O.O told me that practically anybody could call. I only write the husband's coverage because the wife was in bad shape and doesn't qualify physically to switch to a different carrier. I was not the AOR on her policy, but I could have called and canceled it, according to M.O.O guidelines. I got this info from 2 different people at M.O.O.

I agree, that doesn't seem right. So a disgruntled agent could call and cancel all their Med Supp clients if they wanted to. Not a good thing. I would think there should be more to it, maybe there is...but from what they said, that is odd.

----------

I am only guessing but I would think if I called and said Mrs. Smith passed away they would say ok thanks then proceed to verify that it was true before actually cancelling, maybe with some sort of Medicare data base or with what ever state agency would handle death certificates. I would hope it works that way. I have a client whose daughter is POA who cancelled her med sup and pocketed the $180 a month. No one knew until the medical bills started rolling in.

Wow. That is pathetic! Someone like that deserves jail time.

I had a beneficiary pass away and her husband called me to the see how to go about canceling her coverage. I told him that he had enough on his plate and that I would run over to his house and help him with it. When we called M.O.O we found out that the policy had already been canceled by someone else, and the husband was dumbfounded as to why that person could do it. I then remembered that when I orginally met with them 7 years ago that the deceased (wife) didn't qualify so I only write the husband's coverage, which I've replaced several times to save him money. So the cancelation was legit, but it brought to light something that I didn't know. We were told, "that practically ANYBODY can call and cancel coverage." When I got back to my office I called again and spoke to someone else just to make sure that I heard correctly. I asked, "who can cancel coverage for a deceased beneficiary?" I was told, "frankly, anyone can." Is this true for all med supp carriers?

I had a ass of a client who cancelled right after it was issued. (He was an ass before he canceled). MOO was will to take the oral cancellation. I waited to get a cancelation request to cover my rear & sent in the form.

Back